Schweppes

Published on .

Most Popular
In 1783 in Geneva, Jacob Schweppes perfected a process for making an artificial mineral water. Nine years later he moved to London, where he began producing and selling his bottled beverage.

Within the first 70 years of production, Schweppes became such a popular beverage that it was named the official supplier for the 1851 Great Exhibition held in London's Hyde Park. Schweppes adopted as its trademark the celebrated fountain built for the opening of the exhibition. Throughout the 19th century, Schweppes expanded around the globe and, in the 1870s, added tonic water to the range of products bottled under the Schweppes label.

In 1943, the British beverage industry banded together to form the Soft Drinks Industry (War Time) Association, which, in an attempt to cut costs and support the war effort, eliminated brand labeling of soft drinks. Schweppes, however, continued to advertise its brand.

In 1946, the company launched its "Schweppervescence" campaign, which focused on the carbonation of its soda water. Then in 1951, a campaign titled "Schweppshire" began. In 1957, Schweppes acquired L. Rose & Co., manufacturer of the first concentrated fruit drink, Rose's lime juice.

With the help of British adman David Ogilvy, Schweppes crossed the Atlantic in 1953. For Schweppes, Mr. Ogilvy created a campaign centered on Commander Edward Whitehead. With his striking Van Dyke beard and tweed coat, Commander Whitehead even appeared in an official-looking sash at times. Commander Whitehead became the personification of "Schweppervescence," and the campaign is credited with increasing Schweppes sales 500% over nine years.

In 1965, Schweppes launched the "Schhh you-know-who" campaign, which ran until 1973. In 1969, Schweppes merged with the confectionery producer Cadbury to form Cadbury Schweppes. The company then expanded globally and acquired other well-known soft-drink brands such as Dr Pepper, A&W and Sunkist.

In this article: