Library of American Broadcasting To Present Annual Giants of Broadcasting Honors
Awards go to Anne Sweeney, Alex Trebek, Barry Diller, Morley Safer, Dick Cavett, Jeff Smulyan, Robert L. Johnson, David E. Kelley, Richard E. Wiley, Richard Leibner and Carole Cooper
The national Library of American Broadcasting will present its 11th Annual GIANTS OF BROADCASTING Honors at a ceremony and luncheon to be held on October 16, 2013 in New York City. The event, attended by prominent members of the broadcasting, media and corporate communities, celebrates distinguished leadership or performance in television and radio. Eleven honorees will be recognized in 2013 for excellence in the electronic communications arts, joining 159 Giants of Broadcasting who have been honored by the Library since 2003.
- Anne Sweeny, Co-Chair of Disney Media Networks, President of the Disney/ABC Television Group
- Alex Trebek, Iconic Host of Jeopardy
- Barry Diller, Media Mogul and Creator of Fox and USA Broadcasting, Former CEO of Paramount Pictures, Chairman of and Senior Executive of IAC
- Morley Safer, 60 Minutes Correspondent and Pioneering War Reporter at CBS
- Dick Cavett, Emmy-Winning Talk Show Legend, Comedian and Writer
- Jeff Smulyan, Founder, CEO and President of Emmis Communications
- Robert L. Johnson, Founder and Former CEO of BET, Founder and Chairman of The RLJ Companies
- David E. Kelley, Creator of Television Shows including Picket Fences, Chicago Hope, The Practice, Ally McBeal, Boston Public, Boston Legal and Harry's Law
- Richard E. Wiley, FCC Former Chairman, Commissioner and General Counsel
- Richard Leibner, Founder and President of N.S. Bienstock, Talent Agent who has represented TV Journalists including Dan Rather, Mike Wallace, Ed Bradley, Diane Sawyer, Maria Shriver and Andy Rooney
- Carole Cooper, Talent Agent who has represented TV Journalists, including Bill O'Reilly, Anderson Cooper and Lara Logan
WHEN: Wednesday, October 16
11:30 a.m. (Reception)
Noon – 2:30 p.m. (Luncheon and Awards Ceremony)
WHERE: Gotham Hall
1356 Broadway (at 36th Street)
New York City
TICKETS: Reservations for tables and individual tickets to the event may be arranged through Jessica Wolin at 212-685-4233 or by e-mail through firstname.lastname@example.org.
PRESS: All members of the press can RSVP by contacting Ellyn Fisher at 212-984-1964 or email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Library of American Broadcasting
The Library of American Broadcasting (LAB) — located at the University of Maryland — is entering its 42nd year serving as the national information resource for the radio and television industries and the academic communities that rely upon it for depth and expertise. Its collections of historic documents, professional papers, oral and video histories, books and photographs are among the nation's most extensive. LAB is evolving from a conventional library into a "homepage" for the world at large, no longer confined to responding to constituents one at a time but reaching thousands simultaneously through the Internet. Industry outreach includes lectures, symposia, print and the broadcast media themselves. LAB's chair is Virginia Hubbard Morris, president of Hubbard Radio, based in Minneapolis- St. Paul; the president/CEO is Donald West, veteran broadcast journalist and former assistant to the president of CBS Inc. (serving as chief aide to the legendary Frank Stanton); the dean of libraries at the University of Maryland is Patricia Steele, and the curator is Chuck Howell.
The Library has been honoring leaders in the broadcasting industry annually since 2003 —its list of Giants will total 170 after this year's inductions. Previous honorees include industry founders Guglielmo Marconi, David Sarnoff of RCA and NBC, William S. Paley and Frank Stanton of CBS, Leonard Goldenson of ABC, Bob Hope, Lucille Ball, Jack Benny, Philo Farnsworth, H. V. Kaltenborn, Edward R. Murrow, Walter Cronkite, Arthur Godfrey, Paul Harvey, Charlie Rose, Ken Burns, Johnny Carson, Katie Couric, Brian Williams, Christiane Amanpour, Lowry Mays and Tim Russert, among a roll of honor that is available upon request.