The automaker named 10 shops from the more than 20 that threw their hats in the ring.
The contenders are:
- Campbell Mithun, Minneapolis (Interpublic Group of Cos.)
- FCB West, San Francisco and Irvine (Interpublic)
- Grey Worldwide, Los Angeles (Grey Global)
- Hill, Holliday, Connors, Cosmopulos, San Francisco (Interpublic)
- Publicis West, Seattle (Publicis Groupe)
- Publicis & Hal Riney, San Francisco (Publicis)
- Richards Group, Dallas
- Wieden & Kennedy, Portland, Ore.
- Bates West, Irvine, Calif. (Cordiant Communications)
- One undisclosed agency
All the shops declined comment.
Select Resources International, West Hollywood, Calif., is the consultant in the review.
Hyundai expects to cut the list shortly after visiting the shops to three or four semifinalists, with a decision by the end of April following strategic and creative presentations in early April.
Alice Z. Cuneo, Hillary Chura and Rich Thomaselli contributed to this report.