Once registered, you can:

  • - Read additional free articles each month
  • - Comment on articles and featured creative work
  • - Get our curated newsletters delivered to your inbox

By registering you agree to our privacy policy, terms & conditions and to receive occasional emails from Ad Age. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Are you a print subscriber? Activate your account.


By Published on .

While advertising revenue at newspapers and magazines across the country continues to slump, Hispanic media is flourishing. In the past few years, Spanish-language magazines Latina, Latingirl, Urban Latino, and People en Español were introduced, and immediately expanded. Latina's ad pages are up 18.7 percent in April 2001, compared with the same month last year, and ad revenue has grown 16.4 percent. People en Español's ad revenue is up 15.5 percent in April 2001, to $1.6 million, according to the Publisher's Information Bureau. By contrast, ad revenue at parent publication People is up a mere 2.7 percent and the overall magazine ad industry has fallen 1.2 percent in April, compared with the prior year.

“Contrary to what's going on in the general broadcast and cable markets right now, with everyone else in a deflated market, we're in a boom market,� says Stephen Levin, executive vice president of sales for Telemundo. “Right now, we've got about 25 percent of the advertisers the general markets have. Our mission is to convert the other 75 percent.�

These numbers reflect a trend seen across the country: the growth of ethnic news media. Indeed, the hunger for Hispanic media goes beyond the traditional Hispanic medium of television. According to People en Español's “Hispanic Opinion Tracker 2000: Understanding the Growing Influence of the U.S. Hispanic Market,� 76 percent of Hispanics read magazines. They also prefer media tailored specifically for the 95 percent consuming media in Spanish.

The expanding Latino market is also increasingly affluent. According to People en Español's study, 90 percent of Latinos own or lease a car and 20 percent intend to own or lease a new car within the next six months. Forty-six percent own their own homes. “This changing demographic profile is crucial to how we present ourselves to advertisers,� says Lisa Quiroz, publisher of People en Español. “A Cadillac brand may not necessarily think about being in a Spanish-language magazine, but clearly that's a potentially important pitch for us to make.�

Hispanics know their own strength. Hispanic media executives know their market. Perhaps it's time for the rest of America to listen up.


Hispanic All Hispanic All
People 24% 18% 21% 17%
Reader's Digest 15% 21% 13% 22%
TV Guide 15% 15% 15% 16%
Cosmopolitan 13% 8% 12% 8%
National Geographic 13% 15% 14% 15%
Sports Illustrated 13% 10% 13% 10%
Better Homes & Gardens 13% 18% 11% 17%
Parents' 10% 7% 9% 6%
Time 10% 11% 11% 11%
National Enquirer 9% 7% 8% 6%


Hispanic All Hispanic All
Discovery Channel 33% 36% 27% 33%
TNT 22% 28% 16% 23%
TBS 22% 29% 18% 25%~
ESPN 20% 26% 18% 25%
MTV 19% 15% 16% 13%
CNN 19% 31% 20% 31%
Animal Planet 19% 18% 12% 13%
USA 19% 26% 18% 24%
Cartoon Network 18% 14% 13% 11%
Weather Channel 17% 32% 16% 30%
Source: Mediamark Research Inc.
Most Popular
In this article: