Suzman to Head NIA Research Department The National Institute on Aging, part of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, named Richard M. Suzman, Ph.D., as associate director for Behavioral and Social Research, to oversee a grant program and budget of $90 million. Most recently Dr. Suzman was chief of the NIA's Demography and Population Epidemiology Unit. He also held the post of director of the Office of Demography of Aging, and helped build the NIA's Economics of Aging program. He has been instrumental in several NIA studies on the health, demographic, and economic aspects of aging, including the Health and Retirement Study, the Longitudinal Study of Aging, and the National Long Term Care Survey.
Dr. Suzman says he hopes to encourage applications for the agency's Small Business Research Initiative grants, to promote demographic research that has commercial value. "We'd like to see some close interplay between our research and some small businesses," he says, adding that the agency would prefer to fund research that is "cutting edge." For more information on the Small Business Research Initiative, contact (301) 496-9322.
* Steven D. Wolf has joined BAIGlobal Inc. as senior vice president and division director of qualitative services, based in Tarrytown, New York. The company is an independent subsidiary of Market Facts Inc. in Arlington Heights, Illinois. Wolf joined BAIGlobal from Maritz Marketing Research, where he was most recently senior account manager. He also served as chief operating officer of Harte-Hanks Marketing Services from 1987 to 1989.
* Chris Kiminas has joined Retail Planning Associates, Columbus, Ohio, as vice president of sales and marketing for its proprietary retail software product, Trellis. He had been regional vice president of sales for The Ultimate Software Group in Fort Lauderdale. Kenneth Martell has been named vice president of retail strategy at RPA, from director of asset management research at The Taubman Company. Also, Janet Groeber has joined RPA as its director of communication and new business development, from her job as editor and associate publisher of VM+SD, a trade magazine on retail store design.
* Cincinnati-based Burke, Inc. has named Betty Fraley and Jeff Miller as senior vice presidents. Fraley's new title is senior vice president, research services. Miller is now senior vice president, consulting and analytical services.
* Stacy Gelman has been promoted to vice president of operations at Marketing Support, Inc., Chicago, from director of operations. Prior to joining the company a year ago, she was manager of marketing communications for Wilson Sporting Goods. Also at Marketing Support, David Basinger has been named vice president. He was previously a vice president with Charles Pul & Co.
* Will Phillips has been named to vice president of industry affairs for*Catalina Marketing Corporation, St. Petersburg, Florida. He will be responsible for trade relations with industry associations, industry-related conferences, and key manufacturers and retailers, and will continue in the operations duties of his previous role as vice president of information ventures development.
* Memphis-based media agency Archer/Malmo has hired Lee Harness as vice president and general manager of the interactive group, which develops Web sites for clients. Prior to joining the company, he was vice president of marketing and business development for Smart Solutions, a labor management firm. Also, Kristin Linfoot was named director of account services at Archer/Malmo Direct, from account manager at Bronner Slosberg, Humphrey in Boston. Kate MagWood joined the company as senior director of account planning for the research group. Previously, she was manager of marketing research at American Express in New York City.
* John Pryor was hired as vice president of sales and services at RoweCom, an information resource company based in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Pryor will be responsible for sales and service of the company's corporate customers. Previously, he was global vice president of marketing for BGS Systems, a performance management software firm, as well as vice president of sales and marketing at National CSS, a Dunn & Bradstreet subsidiary.
* Nykamp Consulting Group in Lombard, Illinois, named Robert Bibb, Cheri Wahlund, and Jennifer Rigley to the post of senior consultants. Bibb was vice president of database and research at DataSearch Systems, and director of database marketing and research for Service Merchandise. Wahlund was director of database marketing for Sammons Preston where she oversaw circulation plans, marketing, strategy and value programs. Rigley was promoted from within the company.
* Port Washington, New York-based NPD Group promoted Clark Johnson to vice president of its NPD HomeTrak division, which provides point-of-sale tracking for the housewares industry. Johnson will oversee client service, marketing, and production for HomeTrack, as the service expands to include the flatware retail category. Previously, Johnson was vice president of NPD's consumer electronics and information technology tracking unit, INTELECT ASW.