Marketers remain fickle when it comes to agencies. Sixty-four percent of marketers dropped at least one agency last year. PR, Web design and advertising agencies led the list of those shops that were dropped.
Source: CMO Council's "2007 Outlook Survey," BtoB, March 12, 2007
While 93% of advertising agencies believe they play a critical role in marketing success, only 63% of client-side marketers believe agencies play a critical role.
Source: Forrester Research, BtoB, Feb. 27, 2007
Here are this year's category winners in BtoB's Top Agencies special report:
- McCann Erickson
- Ogilvy North America
- BBDO New York
- HSR Business to Business
- Slack Barshinger
- Mobium Group
- PJA Advertising+Marketing
- Stein Rogan+Partners
- Modem Media
Dos and don'ts
Advice from marketers to agencies:
An agency should:
- Learn the client's business.
- Think outside the box.
- Showcase its strategic capabilities.
- Stick within the marketing budget assigned.
- Question the way things have been done.
- An agency should not:
- Present generic case studies.
- Focus too much on creative.
- Talk negatively about its competitors.
- Go over budget in the pitch.
- Try to be something it's not.
Source: BtoB, Jan. 15, 2007
They said it
"We've gone from a landscape where two years ago, 90% of our work was offline, to today, where traditional makes up about 50% of our work."
—Matt Ross, president of McCann Worldgroup San Francisco
Source: BtoB, April 2, 2007