A vibrant Web site must keep up with the latest technologies. If 2005 was the year of blogs, RSS and podcasting, 2006 was all about:
- Video distribution—syndication of viral videos to YouTube, Google Video, etc.
- Social bookmarking and content voting/review—Delicious, Digg, Techmeme.
- MySpace effect—how many virtual friends do you have?
- Tags, tag clouds and "folksonomies—informal content taxonomies make grouping, finding content easier.
- Web 2.0 user interfaces—Ajax, Flash, Flex and more.
So what will be the hot Web technologies in 2007 and beyond? Here are a few educated guesses:
- Twitter: Instant messaging combined with presence alerts creates a new form of "micro-blogging".
- Ning and Coop: Marc Andreessen's new company and new Firefox project both aim to further democratize social networking.
- iPhone effect: Giant hit for Apple or a blip in the cell-phone mega-universe?
- GPS/location-based services: Users want them, but will they accept personalized, location-specific ads on their smartphones?