Our editorial partner Bluefin Labs, the Cambridge-Mass.-based social-TV analytics company, has been tracking social-media response to telecasts of the Democratic National Convention the past three days. Scroll down below the graphic for notes and context.
- For the purposes of this graphic, as with the Republican convention last week, Bluefin tracked social-media response (on Twitter and in public Facebook posts) to the telecasts of the Democratic convention from 10 to 11:30 p.m. ET on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
- Social-media response to the Democratic National Convention topped 5 million comments over 4.5 hours spread over three nights -- 2.5 times the comments during the same window for the GOP convention last week.
- The third night of the Democratic convention, featuring speeches by Vice President Joe Biden and President Barack Obama, was the most social night of both conventions as well as the entire 2012 political season, with more than 2.5 million social-media comments in a 90-minute window. "In fact," says Bluefin's Mike Guigli, "it was more social than all three nights of the GOP convention combined.
- Though the morning-after consensus about Obama's speech labeled it sort of a let-down (at least compared to Bill Clinton's zesty barn-burner on Wednesday and Michelle Obama's heart-to-heart on Tuesday), the president set a convention record by prompting 52,988 social-media comments a minute at his peak. Mitt Romney drew 17,458 comments a minute at his peak during his speech last Thursday. The First Lady drew 30,510 comments a minute at her peak, and Clinton drew 27,920.
- William Powers, who edits Bluefin's The Crowdwire blog, offers his take on the social-media response to Michelle Obama's Tuesday night speech here, and a sentiment analysis of Bill Clinton's Wednesday night speech here. (We'll update this post when his take on last night goes live.)
GET IN THE LOOP: Want to be the first to find out about an upcoming Social TV event from Advertising Age? Send me an email with "Social TV Early Bird" in the subject line. I'll send you details as soon as they're finalized, along with an exclusive discount code.
Stay tuned to AdAge.com for more data from Bluefin Labs. For more about Bluefin, visit its website.
Simon Dumenco is the "Media Guy" media columnist for Advertising Age. Follow him on Twitter @simondumenco.
Are you producing healthcare's best advertising, marketing or communication campaigns? We’re honoring work that advances provider, insurer, pharmaceutical, supplier and advocacy group efforts to deliver high quality, affordable and accessible healthcare; promotes health; and help organizations thrive and grow in today's rapidly changing healthcare environment.Learn more