Ikea will be named Advertiser of the Year at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity, a tribute to the 50 Lions the marketer has picked up over the last two decades and the dazzling creativity its agencies are still displaying around the world.
"Ikea's approach to its marketing and communications, with its decentralized structure and strong relationships with many different kinds of agencies, has been hugely successful over many years," said Philip Thomas, Cannes Lions CEO. "The company's superb track record at Cannes reveals a clarity of vision and an enviable willingness to allow its agencies to truly flex their creative muscles."
At last year's festival, Ikea won a Titanium Lion for "Facebook Showroom," by its Swedish agency Forsman & Bodenfors. In a local promotion that was awarded around the world, a store manager at a new Ikea displayed store items on his Facebook page that could be won by the first person to "like" them.
This year Ikea's agencies around the world continue to do acclaimed work for household furnishings. Here's a selection from Creativity's archives:
- In "Lullabies," Forsman & Bodenfors created covers of classic Swedish lullabies with six modern artists to sell Ikea beds and mattresses.
- The Swedish agency also designed the "Best-Baking Book," a cookbook with luscious baked goods to inspire interest in kitchens.
- Dutch agency Lenz's "365" campaign debuts a new spot every day because one commercial just isn't enough to describe all of Ikea's amazing products.
- In France, Ikea enlisted La Chose to celebrate the Week for Sustainable Development with "The Mysterious Passenger" whose presence in your Ikea France carpool is enough to win a 1,000 euro gift certificate at the store.
- Mother London's "Happy Inside" campaign let 100 cats loose overnight in a U.K. Ikea store and filmed them finding their favorite perches in a cute commercial. An online contest let visitors win furniture by guessing which pieces the kitties liked.
The Advertiser of the Year trophy will be presented in Cannes to Noel Wijsmans, global retail manager and VP of Ikea Group.