This week, holiday gifts will start pouring into the mailrooms of agencies and marketers, but there is only so much wine and fruitcake one can consume. So this got us thinking: What's the perfect gift for the marketing executive who has everything?
To answer that , we turned to Shopycat, a free Facebook app created by @Walmartlabs that scours the profiles, updates, comments and likes of your Facebook friends to come up with customized gift solutions that can be purchased not just at Walmart but some other retailers, such as Hot Topic and Bed Bath & Beyond.
With their permission, we ran through the profiles of a few industry executives and came up with some pretty interesting gift recommendations. Whether these execs have strange interests or Shopycat has strange algorithms is up to you to decide.
So what are you waiting for? Only 20 shopping days 'til Christmas.
Andrew RobertsonCEO of BBDO Worldwide
Reaction: With the exception of the razor brand (Gillette is a client), the list is remarkably on point. Not as good, he notes, as his wife, who for his birthday gave him kite-surfing lessons, but still pretty good. "Everybody knows I drink a lot of beer."
- Trademark Global 500 Dice Style Poker Chip Set: $27.99;
- Philips Norelco Electric Razor: $34.97;
- Personalized Galvanized Beverage Tub: $25
Carissa BianchiPresident of TBWA/Chiat/Day, L.A.
Reaction: "I don't drink coffee, I'm way beyond walking given I'm a marathon runner, and not really into throws."
- Coffee Frappe Maker: $79;
- Omron Premium Pedometer: $2.77;
- Ultra Soft Sherpa Throw: $14.97
David KennySenior adviser, Akamai Technologies
Reaction: "This is a spooky, accurate view of my interests."
- Angry Birds Red Bird Peruvian Beanie: $22 . 50;
- "Angry Birds: Bad Piggies' Egg Recipes" book: $8.50;
- "The President's Photographer: Fifty Years Inside the Oval Office": $22 .50;
- "Offshoring of American Jobs: What Response from the U.S. Economic Policy?": $12.85
Carolyn EversonVP-global marketing solutions at Facebook
- SC Sports NHL 5.5" Snowflake Friends Player Ornament: $16.99;
- New York Rangers "It's Ours" wall art, unframed: $68.99;
- "Secret Saturdays: Beasts of the 5th Sun" for Nintendo DS: $10;
- Petretti's Coca-Cola Collectibles Price Guide: $32.44Reaction: Well, apparently Carolyn likes hockey.
Rob NormanCEO, Group M North America
Reaction: Our guess is that Mr. Norman was offered "Tiny Planets," a kids' DVD, because he liked "Bing" on Facebook.
- AT&T Digital Cordless Headset;
- DVD of Bing & Bong's "Tiny Planets": $5
Rosemarie RyanGift Suggestions:
Reaction: Hopefully, Ms. Ryan likes the frappe maker better than Ms. Bianchi. And she can always regift the cooler to Mr. Robertson for his beer.
- Choose Your Favorite Movie bundle (one movie, one popcorn, two types of candy): $9.98;
- Starbucks Sampler Gift Basket: $28.99;
- Mr. Coffee Frappe Maker: $79;
- A Little Holiday Cheer Walmart eGift Card: $10;
- Coleman 42-Can Soft Cooler with Wheels: $35.00
Pete BlackshawGlobal head of digital and social media, Nestle
- Hyundai air compressor, possibly combined with its companion air tank: $288;
- Coffeemate creamer: $3.18;
- Stouffer's frozen dinners: "Store pricing may vary"Reaction: "There's quite a bit here where the algorithm squarely hit the mark. But it could take months before I decompress the logic of the air compressor." We're also presuming he can get Coffeemate and Stouffer's at the office.
John WinsorCEO of Victors and Spoils
- Philips GoLite Blu Energy light: $119.54;
- "Linchpin, Are You Indispensible?" by Seth Godin: $8.76;
- "Enchantment: the Art of Changing Hearts, Minds and Actions," by Guy Kawasaki: $15.00Reaction: "Anything that helps me sort through all of the choices I have is awesome. The rise of the social editor, whether it be human or algorithmic, will continue to be a big trend."
Julie RoehmMarketing strategy consultant and former Walmart exec
Reaction: "I already have them all."
- Van Halen CDs
Bob JeffreyGlobal CEO of WPP Group's JWT
Reaction: Mr. Jeffrey laughed and said he prefers to do his holiday shopping at Macy's . Yes, it's a client.
- MLB New York Yankees Gnome Figurine: $9.99;
- "This Is Herman Cain" hardcover book: $17.50;
- Black Jack card game set: $37.88;
- "Roger Federer: The Greatest" paperback: $8.34