Prepared for Ad Age by Delahaye Medialink Research, Norwalk, Conn., MediaTalk ranks leading media players' mentions in a number of media outlets in the year leading up to the Media Mavens Special Report. Previously ranked by a tally of all mentions in media outlets, the survey's new criteria places more weight on the prestige of the publication and its placement of the advertiser. Also new this year, Delahaye factored in online outlets to the totals.
Mr. Adgate kept his visibility high this year by providing insight on reality TV and other programming to the prestigious likes of The Wall Street Journal, New York Times and even Advertising Age on multiple occasions. The inclusion of digital formats in the Nielsen ratings in June also made Mr. Adgate a very busy talking head for business media.
Last year's go-to gabber -- Stacey Lynn Koerner, president-consumer experience practice at Interpublic Media -- drops four slots to No. 5 this year, presumably because fictional TV was a lot less newsworthy than non-fiction this year.
Elsewhere on the list, Steve Sternberg, exec VP-director for audience analysis at Interpublic Group of Cos., holds tight at No. 2, while Bill Cella, chairman-CEO of Interpublic's Magna Global, moves up a whopping 15 spots from his 2005 position to No. 3.
Lower in the chart, a trio of female execs make debut appearances in the top 25: Mary Gerzema, president of Universal McCann's U.S. operations; Wendy Marquardt, chief operating officer, ZenithOptimedia USA; and Peggy Green, president-broadcast and entertainment for Zenith Media Services. Harry Keeshan at PHD seems to have benefited the most from the new online-mention criteria, entering the chart this year at No. 24.
The Top 25 Media Mavens, By Impression, 2006
- Brad Adgate, Horizon Media, 16.1 million
- Steve Sternberg, Magna Global, 10.9 million
- Bill Cella, Magna Global, 7.5 million
- Stacey Lynn Koerner, Interpublic Media, 7.3 million
- Laura Caraccioli-Davis, Starcom, 6.2 million
- Andy Donchin, Carat North America, 5.6 million
- Sam Armando, Starcom, 5.4 million
- Renetta McCann, Starcom MediaVest Group, 4 million
- Tim Hanlon, Denuo Ventures, 3.7 million
- Tim Jones, ZenithOptimedia Group, 3.3 million
- John Rash, Campbell-Mithun, 3 million
- Mark Rosenthal, Interpublic Media, 3 million
- Jon Mandel, MediaCom, 2.5 million
- Bob Coen, Universal McCann, 2.43 million
- Tim Spengler, Initiative Media, 2.4 million
- John Muszynski, Starcom, 2.1 million
- Jean Pool, Universal McCann, 1.8 million
- David Cohen, Universal McCann, 1.55 million
- Shari Anne Brill, Carat, 1.5 million
- Jason Maltby, MindShare, 1.4 million
- David Verklin, Carat, 1.3 million
- Peggy Green, ZenithOptimedia, 1.2 million
- Wendy Marquardt, ZenithOptimedia, 1.18 million
- Harry Keeshan, PHD, 1.17 million
- Mary Gerzema, Universal McCann, 1.1 million