#CancelWWENetwork Trends on Twitter Following Royal Rumble

Outrage Over Roman Reigns Victory Hits as Network Strives to Scale

By Published on .

Reprints Reprints

WWE in February is to reveal whether the service will hit 1 million subscribers by the end of 2014 as it predicted. But not all its subscribers are happy, based upon the hashtage #CancelWWENetowrk trending on Twitter on Monday. The hashtag cropped up as subscribers to WWE's digital-subscription servide voice outrage over Sunday night's Royal Rumble event. Fans are upset about the victory of wrestler Roman Reigns and have threatened to disconnect from the over-the-top service as a result.

"Those [of our fans] who voiced their displeasure to a storyline with this hashtag are likely some of our most passionate fans who are WWE Network subscribers, watch 'Raw' and 'SmackDown' every week and attend our live events," a WWE spokesman said in an email. "Evoking emotional responses from our fans is a part of what we do in our programming. As our fans are well aware, when it comes to storylines you never know what ultimately is going to happen."

Despite internet rumors, a company spokesman said the cancellation page on the website did not crash and there has been no spike in cancellation rates.

But WWE Network has had some trouble attracting subscribers since the serviced bowed early last year.

As of October, WWE Network boasted 731,000 subscribers, who pay $9.99 per months for live events, including pay-per-view specials and on-demand library content.

And while the platform began accepting advertising in October, media buyers and agencies at the time said they were taking a wait and see approach.

The company dropped its six-month contract requirement in the fall, allowing subscribers to cancel at any time.

In this article:
Most Popular