Sony Pictures canceled plans to release "The Interview" on Dec. 25, citing exhibitors who decided against showing the picture amid threats of violence by computer hackers.
"We have decided not to move forward with the planned Dec. 25 theatrical release," the Culver City, California-based unit of Sony Corp. said in an e-mailed statement. "We respect and understand our partners' decision and, of course, completely share their paramount interest in the safety of employees and theater-goers."
The studio came to the decision two days after the group that hacked into its computer systems last month invoked Sept. 11 in threatening movie fans with violence at theaters. The studio gave exhibitors the go-ahead to cancel screenings yesterday when they said they won't hold them to contract terms.
Whether the movie will be released theatrically on a later date remains unclear.