In the latest episode of "The Real Househusbands of the Trump White House," Rex is feeling totally undermined by Donald. Anthony basically says Reince is a big fat leaker -- and dares Reince to say he's not. And Donald is stoked that his throwing shade at the transgender community has gotten everyone to shut up (for a minute, at least) about all that Russia stuff. Anyway, let's get started ...
1. Per The Week's Marc Ambinder in a post titled "How Trump spectacularly misread the politics of his transgender ban":
Within moments of Trump's tweets, three conservative Christian senators -- Orrin Hatch of Utah, Richard Shelby of Alabama, and Joni Ernst of Iowa -- said that Trump was wrong. ... Why? Keeping people who are already doing something from doing something because of who they are strikes us as a government-inflicted blow against their liberty, in much the same way as forcing someone to do something against their will does.
2. Decoding the explanation: "Expelling Transgender Troops Is a Clever Way to Motivate Bigoted Midwestern Voters, White House Explains Proudly," per Slate's Ben Mathis-Lilley.
+ See also:
Fixed it pic.twitter.com/JxR6fGGr8w— Jason O. Gilbert (@gilbertjasono) July 26, 2017
4. Speaking of Twitter: "Twitter failed to attract more global monthly users in the second quarter, spooking investors looking for evidence that the company is on a sustainable long-term growth path," per Bloomberg News (via Ad Age). "Monthly active users in the U.S., Twitter's most important advertising market, declined to 68 million from 70 million in the prior quarter. U.S. advertising revenue also fell 7% to $335 million."
5. Per Jordan Fabian of The Hill in a post titled "Scaramucci-Priebus feud reaches boiling point":
A long-simmering feud between two of President Trump's top advisers reached a boiling point Thursday, when White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci publicly insinuated that chief of staff Reince Priebus is a leaker. But the episode that triggered Scaramucci's outburst -- a media report on his financial disclosure forms -- was not the result of a leak. That didn't stop Trump's newly minted communications chief from calling into CNN to challenge Priebus to deny that he is a leaker.
+ See also:
Some in White House are trying to build a case that Priebus is a leaker — "a diagram" charting leaks, per senior official — to show Trump.— Philip Rucker (@PhilipRucker) July 27, 2017
That tweet prompted this tweet:
The people trying to blame Reince as a leaker, leaked their strategy to do so. This is Inception but for incompetent fools https://t.co/nEVq5m7VHL— Dan Pfeiffer (@danpfeiffer) July 27, 2017
(Philip Rucker is White House Bureau Chief for The Washington Post. Dan Pfeiffer is VP of communications and policy for GoFundMe and a former senior advisor to President Obama.)
6. Never mind Jeff Sessions. Let's check in with Rex! "Trump regularly undercuts Secretary of State Tillerson — and it takes a toll," per USA Today.
7. And finally, I leave you with this:
Thanks to Ann-Christine Diaz, Jessica Wohl and Chen Wu for their roundup suggestions.
Simon Dumenco, aka Media Guy, is an Ad Age editor-at-large. You can follow him on Twitter @simondumenco.