Published on .

Most Popular
1896 An organization called the Sphinx Club is formed by advertising pioneers, meeting monthly at the Fifth Avenue Hotel and in the old Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, on the site now occupied by the Empire State Building. This group eventually becomes the Advertising Club of New York.

1896 The J. Walter Thompson agency incorporates.

1902 Alfred W. Erickson leaves his position as ad manager of McCutcheon's Department Store to start the A.W. Erickson Advertising Agency, a forerunner of McCann-Erickson.

1902 N. W. Ayer, headquartered in Philadelphia, opens a New York office in the Flatiron building.

1906 The Batten Co., a forerunner of BBDO, moves from 38 Park Row to the Metropolitan Annex building on East 24th Street, occupying the 11th floor-5,000 square feet.

1909 Chicago-based Lord & Thomas (later to become Foote, Cone & Belding) opens a New York office.

1912 The League of Advertising Women is founded.

1912 Harrison McCann, former ad manager of Standard Oil Co., starts his own ad agency, the H.K. McCann Co., with offices at 11 Broadway.

1915 The Advertising Club of New York incorporates.

1916 Stanley Resor and several partners buy the agency from J. Walter Thompson for $500,000, with Mr. Resor becoming president.

1917 Grey Studios, the predecessor of Grey Advertising, is founded by Larry Valenstein at 309 Fifth Ave.

1917 J. Walter Thompson moves to 244 Madison Ave.

1923 John Orr Young and Ray Rubicam leave Ayer to form their own agency.

1923 The first annual Advertising Exposition, sponsored by the Advertising Club of New York, is held at the 71st Regiment Armory.

1924 The Advertising Club moves into the Stanford White-designed mansion at 23 Park Ave., which would be its home until 1977.

1927 J. Walter Thompson moves into the new Graybar building at 420 Lexington Ave.

1928 The Batten Co. and Barton,

Durstine & Osborn merge to form BBD&O.

1929 Just 13 days before the beginning of the Great Depression, Kenyon & Eckhardt opens shop.

1930 Harrison McCann and A. W. Erickson merge their agencies to form McCann-Erickson, with offices at 285 Madison Ave.

1934 D'Arcy Advertising of St. Louis opens a New York office.

1938 Grey Advertising moves into the Greeley Arcade building, 132 W. 31st St.

1940 The Ted Bates agency is formed.

1943 The Lord & Thomas agency is reborn as Foote, Cone & Belding, with Emerson Foote heading the New York operation.

1947 The cornerstone of the Advertising Club's new home at 103 E. 35th St. is laid.

1948 Hewitt, Ogilvy, Benson & Mather, later renamed Ogilvy & Mather, opens its doors.

1949 The Advertising Hall of Fame is dedicated and housed in the Advertising Club's new building.

1949 Doyle Dane Bernbach is founded.

1954 Grey moves to 430 Park Ave.

1958 "Madison Avenue, U.S.A.," Martin Mayer's seminal work on the advertising business, is published.

1960 Marion Harper, head of McCann-Erickson, unveils an agency structure in which four operating units would report to a new holding company, later 1960 Marion Harper, head of McCann-Erickson, unveils an agency structure in which four operating units would report to a new holding company, later named the Interpublic Group of Cos. This presages similar consolidations more than 20 years later.

1964 The ANDY award for creative excellence in advertising is established by the Advertising Club.

1973 The Advertising Hall of Fame moves to the American Advertising Federation headquarters in Washington, D.C.

1973 N.W. Ayer formally moves its headquarters to New York, closing the Philadelphia office.

1977 The Advertising Club moves to 5 W. 51st St.

1985 D'Arcy MacManus Masius and Benton & Bowles merger to form D'Arcy Masius Benton & Bowles.

1986 Bozell & Jacobs merges with Kenyon & Eckhardt to form Bozell, Ja-cobs, Kenyon & Eckhardt.

1986 BBDO International merges with Doyle Dane Bernbach and Needham Harper Worldwide, operating under the Omnicom holding company umbrella.

1986 Saatchi & Saatchi Co. buys Backer & Spielvogel and Ted Bates Worldwide.

1987 BBDO leaves Madison Avenue after 60 years, moving to 1285 Avenue of the Americas.

1987 London-based WPP Group acquires J. Walter Thompson Co.

1989 WPP Group takes over Ogilvy & Mather.

1991 BBDO marks its 100th anniversary.

1992 Grey Advertising turns 75.

1996 The New York Advertising Club celebrates its 100th anniversary. The club's foundation grants awards to more than 100 students for the study of advertising

In this article: