1st quarter Internet ad revenue hits $351.3 million.

Published on .

Internet advertising revenue rose to $351.3 million in the first quarter, according to the Internet Advertising Bureau's Revenue Report issued June 17. That's up about 5% from fourth quarter of last year, according to report prepared by Coopers & Lybrand and the IAB.

In other significant results, computing was the top advertising spender-- contributing 27% of total revenue--the consumer products category was No. 2. (25%) and telecom was No. 3 (14%). Cost per thousand continues to be the dominant pricing model, contributing 86% of total Internet ad revenue. Hybrid pricing models, such as a combination of CPM and revenue-sharing from an e-commerce site, made up for the remaining 14% of ad revenue. Banners continued to be the dominant form of ad creative, making up 55% of Web advertising. Sponsorships contributed 40%, while interstitials were 4%, and 1% were other.

Copyright June 1998, Crain Communications Inc.

Most Popular
In this article: