Let's face it, people in this industry spend ungodly amounts of time working, either at the office or, often worse, on the road. Which is why it's important to create workspaces that inspire, entertain, maintain organization and boost efficiency. To help capture how people's spaces make them tick, we're introducing a just-for-fun series called "What's on Your Desk?" Over the next several months we'll talk to marketers, agency execs, media scions and tech geeks.
First up, Mainardo de Nardis, CEO of OMD Worldwide. Mr. de Nardis is an Italian transplanted to the media agency's lower Manhattan headquarters. In his 31-year career, he's logged time at McCann Erickson, Young & Rubicam and Mediaedge:cia (now MEC). He joined OMD in 2009 after four years as CEO of Aegis Media Worldwide. We asked him to share what kinds of things he can't work without.
Not pictured (but also at hand):
- "The famous illustration from Norman Rockwell of social media ... in the '20s ..."
- "A pile of OMD marketing materials from all over the world."
- "Pictures of my partner and of my two very good-looking children. Perhaps that is why people often ask me if they are adopted."
- "A plant that is replaced on a regular basis, each one beginning to wilt within a few days. Perhaps a rock garden would be a better option."
- "Last but not least, even if not exactly on my desk, a beautiful view of the river with the Brooklyn Bridge on one side and Battery Park on the other -- a sight that never fails to amaze and inspire this transplanted Italian."