On April 1, 1933, Mr. Mithun, a 23-year-old copywriter at Batten, Barton, Durstine & Osborn's Minneapolis office, and Ralph Campbell Sr. opened what was then Campbell-Mithun. Mr. Campbell, the agency's first president, died in 1949.
Mr. Mithun was named president in 1943 and built Campbell-Mithun to $250 million in billings before retiring in 1983.
The agency was sold to Ted Bates & Co. in 1978 and, in 1981, was merged by Bates with William Esty Co. In 1986, Bates -- and CME -- was acquired by Saatchi & Saatchi Co., London.
CME bought itself back from that holding company in 1995, when Interpublic Group of Cos., New York, took a 50% interest (since increased to 75%) in the shop.
Mr. Mithun was a 1989 inductee into the American Advertising Federation's Advertising Hall of Fame.