Get ready to see a whole lot more of Jennifer Lopez and her soon-to-be-ex-husband Marc Anthony. Kohl's announced that new collections from the pop stars are now in stores nationwide and will be available online beginning Sunday. Let the media blitz begin.
The campaign, "My Style Tells My Story," includes separate storylines and media for the celebrities, who announced plans to divorce in July. Print ads hit with September magazines -- four-page inserts in fashion titles for Ms. Lopez and two-page inserts in entertainment mags for Mr. Anthony. Commercials -- both stars get 30-second spots from McCann Erickson -- are slated to air during prime time on Sept. 12.
Kohl's has also been leveraging Facebook, Twitter and YouTube in recent weeks. Videos featuring Ms. Lopez and Mr. Anthony, separately, in comedic situations as they prepared their collections at a faux Kohl's headquarters were released last month. Ms. Lopez's comedic chops earned her video the No. 1 spot on Ad Age 's latest Viral Video Chart.
In conference calls with analysts, execs have described the advertising investment as "significant" and said it will look similar to its Vera Wang launch in 2007. Kohl's spent $340 million on measured media last year, including $84 million during the third quarter.
While media buys for the launch feature only Ms. Lopez or Mr. Anthony, one has to imagine that there were at least some joint promos on the table prior to their separation. No word yet on whether the pair will make any joint appearances in support of the lines -- though any appearances would certainly set tongues wagging.
The pressure will be on the duo to perform at retail. Kohl's execs have said the dual launch will be the largest brand initiative, in terms of scope and investment, the retailer has ever made. The retailer is also battling slow sales. Sales at stores open at least a year fell 2% in August, leading Chairman-CEO Kevin Mansell to say that marketing would be ramped up to pull shoppers into stores this fall.