There were more entries from licensees for the Best of 1997 competition than in any previous year.
Here are the country-by-country winners in each media category, with the advertiser, entry and agency cited.
* TV: 1st place (tie): Banco Itau "Directory 2," Argulla & Boccetti, and Toyota "Hilux," Lautrec Nazca Saatchi & Saatchi; 2nd place: Telecom Argentine "Mad," Argulla & Boccetti; 3rd place: C&A "Mothers Day," Young & Rubicam.
* Print: 1st place: Novarro Correa "Welcome, Mr. President," Lautrec Nazca Saatchi & Saatchi; 2nd place: RCA "Parental Control," Leo Burnett Argentina; 3rd place: Volkswagen "Nature Is Wise," Ratto/ BBDO; honorable mentions: Perfil "World Without Violence," Lautrec Nazca Saatchi & Saatchi, and Technology Magazine "Cat & Mouse," Dreyfus Communications.
* Out of Home: 1st place: McDonald's "10 Minutes for Lunch," Leo Burnett Argentina.
* TV: winner: El Tiempo newspaper "Super Equipo El Tiempo" ( Lowe & Partners/SSPM.
* Print: 1st place: Redepaz "Rayuela," Lowe & Partners/SSPM); 2nd place: Unisex condoms "Latex Lover, Latin Lover" (Marca); 3rd place: Renault "Similarities" (Lowe & Partners/SSPM); honorable mention: Secretaria de Salud (Health Department) "Fireworks" (Lowe & Partners/SSPM).
* TV: Best of Show: Triquilar oral contraceptive "Another Boring Day for the Stork" (McCann-Erickson Dominicana).
Category winners: Alcoholic Beverages -- Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana "Presidente Beer `Leadership' " (Young & Rubicam Damaris); Financial Services -- Banco Mercantil "Butaca" (Pages & Cia.); Food -- Nestle "Relationships" ( McCann Erickson Dominicana); Technology/Communications -- Codetel "Justo Precio" (Cumbre Nazca) Miscellaneous -- "Another Boring Day for the Stork" (McCann-Erickson Dominicana).
* Print: 1st place: Proctor-Silex "Grapes" (Leo Burnett); 2nd place: Cheyenne jeans "Sling Shot" (Kraneo); 3rd place: Hershey's Syrup "Cows" (Inter American/Ammarati Puris Lintas); honorable mentions: Sociedad Industrial Dominicana "Separata Navidad `Omo' " (McCann-Erickson Dominicana) and Supermercados Nacional "Food Is Like Music to the Soul" (Punlicidad Zolez).
* TV: 1st place: Milko chocolate milk "Imiskoubria Band" (Spot Thompson Advertising); 2nd place: Cutty Sark "Wolves" (Adel Saatchi & Saatchi); 3rd place: Yotis "Sentry" (Lowe Alector).
* Print: 1st place: Michel Herbelkin watches "Marlene Dietrich" (Market Communications); 2nd place: KISS-FM "Olympic Games" (Factory Advertising); 3rd place: Gilera Stalker motorbike "Safe Enjoyment" (Ashley & Holmes),
* TV: 1st place: Gatorade "Lion & Gazelle" (Armando Testa); 2nd place: Martini Spumante "Sharon Stone" (Armando Testa); 3rd place: Renault "Yoga" (Publicis).
* Print: 1st place: Audi "Gandhi" (Verba DDB); 2nd place: Il Sole Ore newspaper "Cristoforo Colombo" (Publicis); 3rd place: Mondadori Publications "Marie Claire" (McCann-Erickson Italiana).