* Embarked in 1968 on eight-year assignment for McCann-Erickson International, in Europe and U.K.
Vice chairman of IPG International, 1975-77; President of Interpublic, 1977-79;
Chairman-CEO of Interpublic, 1979-2000.
* Interpublic's buying spree gained momentum after Mr. Geier took the No. 2 and then No. 1 posts:
* 1980: Bought SSC&B/Lintas Worldwide.
* 1994: Swallowed Western International Media (now Initiative Media Worldwide) and Ammirati & Puris.
* 1995: Bought Campbell Mithun; bought a 35% stake in CKS Group (now MarchFirst).
* 1996: Acquired public relations agency Weber Group and direct marketing agency DraftWorldwide.
* 1997: Bought Hill, Holliday, Connors, Cosmopulos.
* 1998: Snapped up Jack Morton and International Public Relations, parent company of Shandwick and Golin/Harris.
* 1999: Bought 20% of Stockholm-based Internet services company Icon Medialab International and merged troubled agency Ammirati Puris Lintas with Lowe to form Lowe Lintas & Partners Worldwide. Rolled up most interactive holdings into Zentropy Partners.
* 2000: Acquired Deutsch, Nationwide Advertising Services and market-research firm NFO Worldwide.
* Mr. Geier appointed John Dooner his successor this year. On Jan. 1, Mr. Dooner, now Interpublic's president-chief operating officer, takes over as chairman-CEO.