* The discipline to develop cool, stylish-looking models that are fun to drive, with models and features aligned with American tastes. The company's Z coupe, which won numerous fans in the 1970s, then lost its way, is back and as strong as ever with a bold design and knockout colors.
* Standout, consistent, messages from TBWA/Chiat/Day, Playa del Rey, Calif. The shop created a memorable graphic of two orange lines for Infiniti ads that resemble a form of Japanese calligraphy.
* Keep incentives low; Nissan's are about 60% of the industry's average, says Jed Connelly-senior VP-sales and for both brands
* Constant re-evaluations of business models with global sharing; the U.S. is studying how different media separately spark shopping and sales to improve buys.
* Building more cred for Nissan trucks with two teams in Championship Off-Road Racing.