×

Once registered, you can:

  • - Read additional free articles each month
  • - Comment on articles and featured creative work
  • - Get our curated newsletters delivered to your inbox

By registering you agree to our privacy policy, terms & conditions and to receive occasional emails from Ad Age. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Are you a print subscriber? Activate your account.

Safety concerns over Cairo ad industry congress

Published on .

LONDON -- The International Advertising Association is studying its planned World Congress to be held in Cairo next May in light of the slaughter of 57 foreigners in Egypt on November 17, according to IAA Director Norman Vale. The IAA board is likely to discuss the issue by telephone and make a decision soon.

Several IAA board members this week told Ad Age that the event should be moved to another country or be canceled. Mr. Vale says he couldn't comment on whether or not there was enough time to move the venue. At a committee meeting of the U.K. chapter of the IAA held after an earlier attack in Egypt, the question of safety was raised. Mr. Vale said that nobody in New York has expressed concerns to him about the safety of the Cairo Congress.

Attempts to reach the World Congress organizers in Cairo were not successful.

Mr. Vale said that the IAA has received no cancellations following the most recent attack although, as is typical for such IAA conferences, few people have registered for the Congress so far in advance.

Copyright November 1997, Crain Communications Inc.

In this article:
Most Popular