×

Once registered, you can:

  • - Read additional free articles each month
  • - Comment on articles and featured creative work
  • - Get our curated newsletters delivered to your inbox

By registering you agree to our privacy policy, terms & conditions and to receive occasional emails from Ad Age. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Are you a print subscriber? Activate your account.

THAI EXEC IS 1ST ASIAN ON O&M BOARD: LOWE BUYS 40% OF INDIAN AGENCY : AUSSIE GOV'T BREAKS GUN BUYBACK ADS: WELLA TO REFOCUS ON SALON SALES: MINERAL WATER DUMPS ADS, AND AGENCY

Published on .

[bangkok-nov. 21] Sunandha Tulayadhan, group managing director of Ogilvy & Mather Thailand, has become the first Asian on the board of O&M Worldwide. Miles Young, president of O&M Asia Pacific, said the move acknowledges her work in Thailand and in developing business in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. O&M Worldwide Chairman Charlotte Beers and CEO Shelly Lazarus are the only other women on the board.

[bombay-nov. 21] The Lowe Group continues to branch out of its Europe-U.S. axis by taking a 40% interest in Enterprise Nexus Communications, a merger of two agencies here. The remaining 60% is owned equally by Enterprise Advertising and Nexus Equity. Last year, Lowe bought a 40% interest in Enterprise, headed by Chairman-Creative Director Mohammed Khan, one of the most respected admen in India. Mr. Khan will be chairman of the merged entity, whose billings will rank it 10th or 12th in India.

[sydney-nov. 19] The Australian government's controversial $3 million TV, print and radio campaign to promote its gun amnesty and buyback laws broke Nov. 17 with a neutral message calling on owners to hand in their weapons. The amnesty is a result of a national ban on ownership of all automatic weapons following the Port Arthur massacre of 35 people by a lone gunman last April. The campaign has dropped DDB Needham Australia's original "Bite the bullet" slogan for a toned-down message that urges gun owners to take part in the buyback scheme.

[darmstadt, germany-nov. 21] Wella, the haircare and personal products marketer, will refocus on its core business of marketing haircare products through beauty salons. Wella will abandon supermarket sales in several countries including the U.S., where it sells Wella Balsam shampoo. The company will continue retail sales through mass-market outlets in about 30 countries. Wella is active in 119 countries. A year ago, then-Chairman Peter Zuehlsdorff resigned because the Stroeher family, which controls nearly 80% of Wella's voting stock, would not support his strategy of heavily investing in expanding Wella's retail sales.

[geneva-nov. 19] Consumer outrage has sunk a campaign for Passuger mineral water, as well as the agency relationship that spawned it. The marketer pulled the print campaign in Switzerland following negative reaction to the advertising, which featured U.S. rap singer Coolio and a sprinkling of expletives. Passuger also announced it would terminate its relationship with Schmid Hostettler & Fabrikant, Arlesheim.

In this article:
Most Popular