TOYOTA ADS SHOWCASE GOATS AND SMART ROADS

By Published on .

DETROIT (AdAge.com) -- Toyota Motor North America, the corporate arm of the marketer of Toyota- and Lexus-branded vehicles, breaks its 2001 ad campaign today in news weeklies. The estimated $10 million all-print effort will run throughout the year.

Oasis Advertising, New York, created a series of ads with the tag "Today Tomorrow Toyota" printed across the top of a photo spread. Under each word is a column of text.

Mountain goats get a starring role in new magazine ads for the hybrid fuel Toyota Prius.
The agency, which has had the account since 1993, first used the tag for the client in a 1999 print ad touting the U.S. arrival of the Prius, a hybrid gas-and-electric sedan.

Goats and clean air
The first of two initial spreads shows the Prius driving by two goats on a hill. Copy under "Today" reads "Mass-produce a hybrid system that reduces smog-forming emissions by 90 percent." The text under "Tomorrow" says "The other 10 percent." The ad was shot in Northern California by British photographer Stuart Hamilton, who also did the second spread that touts a "smart highway" test Toyota (along with General Motors Corp. and American Honda Motor Co.) did in San Diego in 1997 to "help traffic move more smoothly."

"This new campaign presents Toyota's vision as a company and how the projects we are investing in today will have a greater positive impact in the future," said Marjorie Schussel, manager of corporate communications at Toyota. Oasis also handled the national media buy, which includes titles such as Business Week, Forbes, Fortune, Newsweek, Vanity Fair and U.S. News & World Report. Other narrowly targeted books that are also part of the buy include American Scientist, Design News, Environmental Design and Construction, Nature, Physics Today and Wired.

Targeting 'influencer' group
The target audience is between 35 and 54 years old and highly educated, said Veronica Pollard, vice

Ads also tout Toyota's role in 1997 'smart highway' test.
president-corporate communications for Toyota. The audience for last year's corporate campaign was a bit younger, with some college and lower annual-household incomes. "We felt an upscale audience was the right target, and it's also considered an 'influencer' group that is very active in their communities," she said.

When asked about the disparity between Toyota corporate's target and the vehicle division's quest to attract more Generation Y buyers, she said the division is responsible for product advertising while the corporate arm isn't. "This [campaign] is going to reach all audiences," she said.

Oasis spent 18 months researching the new campaign, said Paul Bernasconi, a partner and creative director at Oasis. Agency staffers visited Toyota research facilities and plants, and interviewed consumers "to find out what the soul and vision of Toyota is," he said. Focus groups were also shown various ad approaches.

"Toyota has a great reputation for quality in this country, but it's also a very creative company, and a lot of people don't realize that," Bernasconi said. "Toyota has a lot of amazing things that will have an amazing impact on daily life."

In this article:
Most Popular