* E-mail volume demands two or more full-time employees to manage.
* High "shopping cart" abandon rates; generally exceeding 50%.
* Inability to respond to incoming e-mail within 24 hours. (This time frame is getting shorter and shorter, yet most Web sites are becoming less responsive).
* Inability to analyze volume and disposition of e-mail inquiries.
* Inconsistent and/or "canned" e-mail responses (and it shows in the message).
* Expected purchase rate from visitors at a Web site is lower than similar benchmarked companies.
* Managing knowledge across multiple call and contact centers and tools becomes unmanageable.
* Competitors are offering multiple touch points for accessing their customer service.