To register, get added benefits and unlimited access to articles, Become a Member. Already a Member? Sign in.

10 (More) Trends for 2008

First up: Geeks Are Out!

By Published on . 2

See also: Trends to Watch in 2008
GEEKS ARE OUT; SORRY GUYS!
Earlier this year, when Buzzdash.com asked, "Who were you in high school?" 40% said nerds. The other 60% are That Guy -- and they're once again starting to rule screens both big and small. Stop marketing your geek factor -- even mathlete Landry on "Friday Night Lights" joined the football team.
NO PRESS IS GOOD PRESS
Since it's too easy for people to identify even the smallest fib, companies are going to be surreally careful. Every citizen typist is on your case for infractions. Shutting down corporate communication will come in handy. An era of silence is upon us.
BANDWAGONING BECOMES THE RAGE
After decades of inspirational posters telling us to do better, try harder, break rules, and innovate, now you should follow in others' footsteps. We can live better, saner, more successful lives by jumping on the bandwagon, not trying to blaze trails.
PEOPLE STOP BITCHING ABOUT TRAVEL
Americans will begin to see their biz trips as adventures and change their mind-sets about delays, since it will no longer be about "book-ending" days off but planning for half-day experiences while en route.
BAIT-AND-SWITCH COMES OUT OF CLOSET
BAS is when an individual sells a service and then runs away after the agreement is signed. This offensive practice will become the death knoll, as companies start to test the people they meet to find out who actually does the work.
AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION DEFINES "COMPUTER DEATH" AS ACTUAL ILLNESS
Internet-deprivation studies prove we cannot go without an online fix for more than two weeks -- most say five days max. During the next year we learn that technological dependencies are more than emotional. They can actually make you sick.
GEORGE W. BUSH ASKS AMERICANS TO STOP DEMEANING HIM
When Rep. Charles Rangel was asked about GWB this year, Rangel threw the line, "He shatters the myth of white supremacy once and for all!" As our culture races to the bottom, a nothing-is-sacred mentality has taken over. Our president is starting to seem like another Lohan or Spears.
AND THEY ALL LIVED HOLLYWOOD AFTER EVER
The modern famous person will be off the cuff and honest -- thanks to fast technology that gives us a shot at knowing them in real time. Besides being gay or straight, do they bite their nails; worship tropical fish; or date auburn-haired midgets?
GOT TO START USING PLAIN OLD SOAP AGAIN
Antibacterial soaps that contain germ-remover triclosan (which is regulated by the FDA) are not cleaning that well and seem to be damaging our bodies with toxic chemicals. Soon there will be a movement to go back to regular old soap! Watch out, Dial.
VONNEGUT GETS THE LAST WORD (DIDN'T HE ALWAYS?)
A couple of months before he died, fantastical thinker Kurt Vonnegut put forth an idea platform-ready for 2008 voters: he lobbied for the next president to install in his cabinet a secretary of the future. "It would help us live a more sustainable life, not pollute a place where generations in the future have to live," said he.


~ ~ ~
Richard Laermer is CEO RLM PR and author of "Punk Marketing" and "2011: TrendSpotting for the Next Decade."
In this article:

Read These Next

Comments (2)