DOWNSIDE: While there are some positive signs GM's 2006 strategies are working, the carmaker isn't out of the woods yet. Critics say GM still has too many brands, which are very expensive to feed with new products and support with advertising. The marketer's newer models are selling better than the ones they replaced, but GM is still too dependent on its big pickups and SUVs at a time of uncertain gas prices.
AD BUDGET: $4.35 billion
* Interpublic Group of Cos.' Campbell Ewald, Warren Mich.; Deutsch, L.A.; Lowe Worldwide, N.Y.; McCann Erickson Worldwide, Birmingham, Mich., Mullen, Wenham, Mass.
* Interpublic-backed Accentmarketing, Coral Gables, Fla.
* Omnicom's Goodby, Silverstein & Partners, San Francisco
* Publicis' Arc Worldwide, Detroit; Leo Burnett Detroit, Troy, Mich.; GM Planworks, Detroit; Starcom USA, Chicago
* A Partnership, New York
* Digitas, Boston
* Modernista, Boston
* Carol H. Williams Advertising, Oakland, Calif.