DOWNSIDE: J&J is in many businesses but not exactly dominating any. Second-quarter sales growth of 4.7% lagged many top competitors, and some analysts found top-line performance in consumer products, pharmaceuticals and medical devices somewhat below expectations. J&J does expect growth to pick up to a respectable 7%-8% rate in the second half-but that hasn't happened yet. And by buying Pfizer's OTC business, J&J is picking bigger fights in such categories as oral care and antacids, where it's had a tough time with Procter & Gamble Co. and Colgate-Palmolive Co. J&J faces a hard battle in the fast-growing skincare business from P&G's Olay, Unilever's Dove and L'Oreal.
AD BUDGET: $2.21 billion
* Interpublic's Alchemy, Deutsch, ID Media, Lowe, McCann Erickson, Regan Campbell Ward-McCann and R/GA, N.Y.; Casanova Pendrill Publicidad, Costa Mesa, Calif.; Integrated Communications Corp. and Torre Lazur McCann Healthcare Worldwide, Parsippany, N.J.
* Omnicom's DDB, N.Y. and Chicago; Kallir, Phillips, Ross, Raritan, N.J.; Roberts & Tarlow, L.A.; OMD, N.Y.
* Omnicom-backed Del Rivero Messianu DDB, Coral Gables, Fla.
* Publicis' BrandPharm and Conill, N.Y.
* WPP's CommonHealth, Parsippany, N.J.; Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide, N.Y.
* Mother, N.Y.