By the numbers:
* There are more than 110 million women 20 or older in the U.S., vs. 104 million men
* Women account for 47% of all workers, filling 51% of jobs in the higher-paying "management, professional and related occupations"
* Of 27.2 million married women with children under age 18, 71% are in the work force
* Women are the heads of 30% of all U.S. households, exercising total control of those finances
* The number of women under 65 who earn more than $75,000 annually has doubled from 1.9 million in 2000 to 3.8 million in 2005
* Women outnumber men almost 2-to-1 among the 40% of undergraduates 25 or older
Sources: Peter Francese, U.S. Census Bureau, American Council on Education