I can't tell you how many people -- industry and lay folks alike -- said to me, "I'll bet winning Best-of-Show gets you lots of new clients, huh?" Of course, I nodded in agreement. But you and I both know it doesn't always happen that easily. You have to have an awards plan -- or, as my PR director says, a merchandising program. Sounds more elegant, I guess.
So, here's what we plan to do.
- First, we sent out an internal memo first thing in the a.m. after the show, recognizing the winning teams. Always important to communicate internally before going externally.
- Next, we made a digital copy of the announcement in the newspaper, and sent it to clients, prospects, influencers and partners.
- After that, we're making a copy of the award and framing the newspaper ad that announced it, and giving it to our client for whom we won the top award.
- We won a total of 22 awards, and are making a mini-website featuring the awards. An email will be sent out to our database with a link to the site. We did this last year as well, with good results.
- A press release is being prepared by our agency to cover the media outlets that didn't cover the ADDYs.
- A section on our website is being devoted to it.
- The actual crystal award is being featured in a prominent place in our agency for all staff, clients and visitors to see.
- Last, we intend to celebrate as an agency. Soon we're shutting the agency down a little early and taking everyone out for bowling, beer and a salute to our team.