The Olympics dominated TV check-ins again this week, taking half the spots on our weekly chart of the top shows on entertainment check-in service GetGlue. But a decidedly non-Olympic summer favorite retook the No. 1 slot with a big surge in check-ins. Scroll down below the graphic for more notes and context.
- NBC's relentless coverage of the 2012 Summer Olympic Games hasn't just yielded the Peacock network big ratings over the past two weeks, but also plenty of TV check-ins. Men's swimming and women's gymnastics led check-ins much as they led chatter elsewhere, especially about Gabby Douglas, the 16-year-old gymnast who was the first African-American to win the women's all-around gold medal, and Michael Phelps, now the most decorated Olympian ever with 22 medals.
- "True Blood" is back at the top of the chart after last week's drop to No. 3 behind "Nikita." The latest episode of the vampire melodrama drew 4.4 million viewers, down fractionally from the week before but still more than any other show on cable that night. Its check-ins, meanwhile, dramatically improved to 91,045 from 59,710 the week before, according to GetGlue.
- "Nikita" continues to generate higher check-ins for its ratings than shows typically do. Its GetGlue check-ins amounted to about 8% of the viewers who actually watched its rerun on the CW Friday night.
- Like "Nikita," "Breaking Bad" enjoys an eager fan following. With only 12 episodes left until the series finale, it's a safe bet that a fan-driven check-in campaign (a la "Nikita") will emerge to help kick this contemporary classic to the top before its end.
- Finally, after falling off the chart last week amid the Olympics onslaught, TNT's "Falling Skies" found its way back to No. 9 -- with its most check-ins in weeks no less. "Falling Skies" ranks as the summer's top drama on basic cable with adults 18-54, according to Nielsen data.