Our new Twitter Week in Review chart uses data collected and parsed for Ad Age by the What the Trend (WTT) unit of HootSuite, the social-media management dashboard with more than 3 million users. (Last week's chart is right over here.) We're back today with Volume 6. Scroll down below the infographic for some context -- and watch for a fresh edition of our Twitter Week in Review each Friday.
- Pop star Justin Bieber takes our No. 1 spot this week with "21 million Beliebers" -- his fans' way of celebrating him hitting the 21 million mark in Twitter followers. As of this writing, he's up to 21,293,149. Oh, wait -- I just hit "refresh" on his Twitter page and now he's up to 21,293,172. Oh, wait, no, hold on, hold on. I just hit "refresh" again and now he's up to 21,293,349....
- "I Am Legend" takes our No. 2 spot not because people are suddenly nostalgic for the 2007 film, but because so many people tweeted the news that "I Am Legend" director Francis Lawrence just got signed to helm the second film in the "Hunger Games" series, "Catching Fire."
- Refresh: Now the Biebs is up to 21,293,481 followers.
- Once again, Twitter's global reach is obvious, with "Liberty X" (a British pop group rumored to be reuniting), "3 Months With BAP" (marking the three-month anniversary of the release of Korean boy band B.A.P.'s debut record; B.A.P. stands for Best Absolute Perfect, by the way), and "I Love Louis (this lad, from the British boy band One Direction, which is blowing up in the U.S. too and recently appeared on "Saturday Night Live") taking three of our Top 10 spots.
- For trend definitions in our Top 10 not covered above, visit HootSuite's What the Trend.
- Spurred by assorted bad publicity -- including a $4.8 million fine levied against it by the U.S. Department of Labor for failing to pay overtime to more than 4,500 workers (the Wall Street Journal has details) -- Walmart takes the No. 1 spot in the Top 5 Brands section of our graphic. And "I cried when" -- a.k.a "#ICriedWhen" -- tops our Top 5 memes section. Just to give you a hint of the kind of trauma this meme surfaced, here an example: @PattStar: "#ICriedWhen One Direction concert tickets sold out before I could buy them *cries forever*."
- JB's up to 21,294,287 followers now.
- As with our Top 10 list, you can find more details about our Top 5 Memes and Top 5 Brands at HootSuite's What the Trend.
- Mr. Justin Drew Bieber is now up to 21,294,838. In the time it took me to write this post, he added 1,689 Twitter followers.
Simon Dumenco is the "Media Guy" media columnist for Advertising Age. Follow him on Twitter @simondumenco.
Help HootSuite's What the Trend define trends by following WTT: Define Now (@whatthetrend). And stay up to date on the latest HootSuite product-update details and company news by following @hootsuite.
Marketers and agencies rethink their work out loud at the 10th annual Ad Age Digital Conference. What is advertising now -- an ad or an experience? How does it get done -- and by whom? We hash out pressing industry issues like ad blocking, ad fraud, and kickbacks. We set the agenda for the year ahead. Save $400 before February 19.Learn more