A few notes about this week's Top 10 Most Tweeted Brands chart, a collaboration between Advertising Age and What the Trend:
- Sort of a sad chart this week, in multiple ways: George Steinbrenner got a massive send-off from the Twittersphere, as did the World Cup. (What will people tweet about instead of soccer? "Inception," I guess.) And Paul the Octopus -- who correctly predicted the winner of the World Cup -- will surely fade from Twitter view, too, given that he's retired.
- You saw this coming: "Inception" has surged into our Top 10, even though it didn't even officially open until today. The Hollywood Reporter reports that last night's (or, rather, this morning's) midnight screenings pulled in an estimated $3 million. See also: 'Inception': Are We Witnessing the Birth of the Next Billion-Dollar Movie Franchise?
- In my estimation, the recently launched pop brand with the most impressive social-media footprint is the ABC Family series "Pretty Little Liars." (The show, which premiered June 8, is based on a series of young adult novels by Sara Shepard that first kicked off in 2006.) Though it's meant for a core audience of female teens, Entertainment Weekly's (grown-up) Margaret Lyons, for one, recently admitted that she's "obsessed" with the show. So is the Twittersphere.
(What the Trend Pro, the service I use to create this charticle, offers an in-depth look at hundreds of trends each week.)
How is this chart made? See Notes, below.
|Trend||Peak Position This Week||Points||Crowdsourced Description|
|1||FIFA World Cup||1||18,276||Tweets about the close and aftermath of the World Cup, which took place in South Africa from June 11 - July 11.
Subtrends include: #worldcup and dozens more (see whatthetrend.com for the complete list)
|2||Paul the Octopus||1||9,584||The octopus in Germany that successfully predicted the results of various World Cup matches and the ultimate World Cup winner. Pulpo means Octopus in Spanish.
Subtrends include: Pulpo Paul, Psychic Octopus, Pulpo, Polvo Profeta, Inktvis, Octopus
|3||LeBron James||1||4,348||In a one-hour special on ESPN on July 8th, James announced he is choosing to leave the Cleveland Cavaliers for the Miami Heat. LBJ: acronym for LeBron James. #justofferedlebron: What different people would offer LeBron if he signs with a team- started by @myfabolouslife (rapper Fabolous).
Subtrends include: LBJ, #lebrondecision, #justofferedlebron
|4||George Steinbrenner||1||3,231||New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner has died at age 80 after a massive heart attack.|
|5||MLB||1||2,868||Tweets about various teams, players and games
Subtrends include: Cliff Lee, Homerun Derby, Home Run Derby, Miguel Cabrera, Hanley Ramirez, MLB All-Star Game, Brian McCann, Marlon Byrd, Chris Berman, Corey Hart, Travis Wood, Matt Holliday, Ortiz, All-Star Game, Ryan Braun, MLB, Brian Wilson, Jose Ortiz, Rod Carew, McCann, Derek Jeter, Amber Riley, Home Field Advantage, Broxton, Joba, Escobar, Lidge, Vernon Wells, Celebrity Softball, Valverde, Halladay, Softball Game, #hrderby, Phillies
|6||Inception (Movie)||4||2,259||Inception is a 2010 sci-fi action thriller film written, produced and directed by Christopher Nolan. The film stars Leonardo DiCaprio. Inception is scheduled to be released in both conventional and IMAX theaters on July 16, 2010.|
|7||NBA||1||2,220||Tweets about various teams, players and games.
Subtrends include: Derek Fisher, Scottie Pippen, Ron Artest, Kyle Korver, Chris Bosh, Pat Riley, Dwayne Wade, Beasley, Stuart Scott, Redick, Ilgauskas, Dwyane Wade, Anthony Randolph, Jack Nicholson, Korver, John Wall, Bosh
|8||Pretty Little Liars (TV Show)||2||2,193||Pretty Little Liars is a ABC Family TV Show that premiered a new episode July 13.
Subtrends include: PLL
|9||Super Junior||1||1,923||Korean boyband Super Junior has just won the first place from Music Bank K-Chart for this week on KBS World TV with their new song, 'No Other'. Super Junior members Leeteuk, Donghae, Eunhyuk and Shindong were guests of "Star Golden Bell" on KBSWorld. July 10th was @Heedictator 's birthday -- Super Junior member Kim Heechul.
Subtrends include: Star Golden Bell, #heedictatorbday, Heechul Oppa, Heenim, #noother2ndwin, #noother1stwin
|10||Hannah Montana (TV Show)||2||1,863||The first episode of Hannah Montana's final season aired on the Disney Channel, Sunday, July 11th.|
1. WTT tracks the appearance of topics on the Twitter Trending Topics list and each week ranks the brands (broadly defined to include marketers, products and celebrity/entertainment brands) with the most cumulative staying power. Explanations of trends are solicited from WTT users, Wikipedia-style; a community-voting system is designed to highlight the best explanations while burying lame or prank explanations.
2. For the purposes of this chart, we collect and process data until 12 midnight EST on Thursday night before each Friday's publication.
3. We broadly define "brands" to include major marketers (e.g., Apple) and branded products (e.g., iPad), as well as celebrity and entertainment brands (e.g., Lady GaGa, American Idol). Ad Age works with WTT to consolidate multiple threads of brand chatter (e.g., Apple, iPad, iTampon, Apple Tablet) into one position on the chart when it's clear related Twitter conversations are basically all about the same topic, even if they use different keywords.
4. In WTT's proprietary trend-tracking system, points are awarded for both duration and rank in the top 10 trending topics on Twitter. The longer the duration, and the higher the overall rank, the more points are awarded. Measurements are taken in five-minute increments.
5. The crowdsourced trend explanations above are quoted as they appear on WTT, and therefore may have stylistic and grammatical quirks that don't adhere to normal Ad Age editorial standards.
For more information about What the Trend, visit the WTT FAQ. And check out WTT's Week in Review, compiled by its in-house editors and covering an expanded general list of Top 20 trends (including hashtag trends) here.
Simon Dumenco is the "Media Guy" media columnist for Advertising Age. You can follow him on Twitter @simondumenco.