Our new Twitter Week in Review chart uses data collected and parsed for Ad Age by the What the Trend unit of HootSuite, the social-media management dashboard with more than 3 million users. (Last week's chart is right over here.) We're back today with Volume 5. Scroll down below the infographic for some context -- and watch for a fresh edition of our Twitter Week in Review each Friday.
- A Georgia rapper named Tauheed Epps who goes by 2 Chainz takes our No. 1 spot this week, thanks to plenty of exposure on MTV and BET. (He's signed to Def Jam.) He got a big boost on Tuesday in particular because multiplatinum rapper Drake promoted the fact that 2 Chainz is among the artists on the bill for his upcoming Club Paradise Tour.
- The MTV Effect also factors into our No. 3 trending topic of the week. "16 & Pregnant" is , of course, an MTV series. Tuesday's episode featured an African-American girl, Jordan Howard, and her white boyfriend, Tyler Zeplin. Howard sought to counter perceptions that her mom had issues with the relationship (e.g., HollywoodLife ran a post that asked "Is Jordan Howard's Mom Racist?") by tweeting, "My mom is white and father is black. She is not prejudice. Biracial is my whole life. Accept it."
- Our chart tallies the top trending topics globally, which you can see from "#TheVoiceUK" in the No. 6 spot, "TGIFPrize Michael Jackson" in the No. 5 spot (an Indonesian music group held an online quiz and "Michael Jackson" was the answer) and "25 de Abril" in the No. 2 spot (having to do with a student protest march in Chile on April 25).
- For trend definitions in our Top 10 not covered above, visit HootSuite's What the Trend.
- Products from established tech firms dominate our Top 5 Brands section with Google Drive in the No. 1 spot, Microsoft SkyDrive at No. 3 and the AOL On Network at No. 4. And the most amusing meme in our Top 5 Memes chart is arguably "#TextsThatGetYouScared," in the No. 5 spot. (The most popular/retweeted response to that hashtag on Twitter this week: "Can I ask you a question?")
- As with our Top 10 list, you can find more details about our Top 5 Memes and Top 5 Brands at HootSuite's What the Trend.
Simon Dumenco is the "Media Guy" media columnist for Advertising Age. Follow him on Twitter @simondumenco.
Help HootSuite's What the Trend define trends by following WTT: Define Now (@whatthetrend). And stay up to date on the latest HootSuite product-update details and company news by following @hootsuite.