Whether it's a list in a magazine, top ten list on TV, chances are you've been consuming listicles for years without realizing. But recently, listicles have taken over media. And it's no surprise why. Who doesn't love a 10Best list? And according to an essay last month in The New Yorker, our brains are attracted to lists. From TV to print to the web, listicles are engaging, shareable, debatable and condense any subject into manageable number of factoids. Plus, the word listicles is fun to say.
Listicles are featured on thousands of websites and in print across the world and as consumers continue to embrace and respond to these lists, you're likely to see more of them in the months and years ahead, especially as news consumption habits evolve. A study last year by global news syndication company Mobiles Republic showed that consumers are "news snacking". The study showed that while news consumption is increasing, consumers are checking the news for a shorter amount of time. They're hungry for news but "snack" throughout the day. Listicles can help feed their appetite.
It appears listicles are here to stay and advertisers should take note. They're a great tool to reach consumers. But why?
Here are the top six reasons why listicles are an important vehicle for advertisers:
- Listicles are social in nature and are easily and quickly shared throughout social media, causing your brand to be seen by new audiences. The study by Mobiles Republic showed that more and more consumers are turning to social media for their news. Since listicles are easily shareable, consumers can quickly scan a listicle their friend posts or Tweets and come across your brand message.
- Listicles engage consumers. Readers often find something within a listicle that resonates, turning them into an active participant. Whether they agree or disagree, those engaged readers will inject their own voice into the conversation by commenting, sharing and creating their own listicles.
- You can align your brand with specific listicles to reach a targeted audience. Advertisers are always looking to reach the right consumer at the right time with the right message and listicles provide that opportunity.
- Listicles allow advertisers to be creative. While structured, listicles don't follow one specific formula allowing advertisers new, creative and compelling ways to reach consumers.
- Brands get exposure across multiple platforms. While many listicles are featured online, they also appear in print, through mobile and across social platforms, helping advertisers reach the right consumers.
- Did I mention the word listicles is fun to say?
Show off rich, innovative advertising. B-to-b marketers are wrestling with their own unique challenges--and proving that they’ve got what it takes to close the deal. Join an impressive group of past winners that includes Adobe, Avon, Cisco, Oakley, Time Warner Cable Media and more.
Extended Deadline: October 19, 2015. Enter now.