Voted & Quoted

Published on .

55% ...of our AdAge.com respondents think product placement in movies does not sell the product effectively. The remaining 45% of our nearly 400 voters feel such a mixing of entertainment and advertising hits the mark.

" 'ET'-Reeses Pieces-need I say more?"

-Leann Orr/Account executive/Media Concepts/Sioux City, Iowa

"The problem with product placement is that if it is noticed, it is seen as gratuitous and off-putting, and if it isn't noticed it hasn't worked. What a strange business to be in!"

-Robin Azis/CEO/The Entertainment Factor/London

"Advertising is inherently an 'I'm trying to sell you on this' situation. Movies have a different MO and when placement is done right you don't care you've been pitched."

-Mark Wilson/VP-management supervisor/Prime Access/New York

Product "placement works best [with] new brands or little-known brands that are hoping to achieve more awareness.... Nobody needs to see a bag of Doritos in a movie. Big whoop-we know them already and have for years. The viewer gets nothing out of seeing a bag of Doritos- except maybe a sense of annoyance."

-Ben Grill/Research consultant/Sachs Insights/New York

Next week's question is "Has TV lost its power to sell cars as last week's study suggests?" To submit your answer please log on to AdAge.com, QwikFIND aao29v

In this article:
Most Popular