Voted & Quoted

Published on .

Most Popular
53% of our voters feel the fate of "Rosie" magazine has hurt the potential of celebrity-name magazines. The remaining 47% think the potential of the magazine lies in the hands of the celebrity on whom it is based.

"God, I hope so. This is a waste of money so colossal, it's dwarfed only by the size of the egos involved. What's next? Jen & Ben Monthly?"

-Steve Angel/VP-business development/RDW Group/Providence, R.I.

"If a celebrity is a brand, then the concept has the requisite resources to work. Despite Martha Stewart's legal tribulations, she is exemplar of a person-cum-brand-cum-media entity. I believe Oprah demonstrates the same value proposition; she is a brand with a clearly articulated position and consumer benefit. ... Rosie as a brand has too many inherent contradictions and prospective liabilities to be grafted onto a vanilla medium such as McCall's."

-Dorothy Schatzkin/COO-media partnership/Initiative Media/Norwalk, Conn.

"Maybe mag publishers will now better understand: He who plays with fire will get burned."

-Nicholas Theodore/Magazine publishing consultant/Montreal

Next week's question is "Do most magazine publishers misstate their circulation numbers?" To submit your answer please log on to, QwikFIND aao29v

In this article: