Voted & Quoted

Published on .

77% AdAge.com voters think there is a direct link between TV ads and childhood obesity. The remaining 23% of nearly 1,000 respondents feel there is more at fault than just advertising.

"Ultimately the diets of children should be based on the decisions their parents or caregivers make; however, I have yet to see an effective food-based marketing campaign ('Got Milk,' aside) directed at kids that promotes a nutritional diet or healthy lifestyle."

-Sean Monesson/Founder-CEO/MRG International/New York

"Of course there is a direct correlation. Before children can even read they know what they want simply based upon package recognition. How many adult cereals do you see with bright colors and animated characters on the package? None."

-David Felender/Sales Manager/WMC Direct/Woodland Hills, Calif.

"The responsibility for childhood obesity rests squarely on the shoulders of parents. Kids-with few exceptions-can only consume what their parents put in front of them. If parents ... give in to every whim their children express, they should accept the consequences without blaming food and restaurant marketers."

-Michael DeLuca/Managing director/Burson-Marsteller/Chicago

Next week's question is "Is Myrna Blyth correct in saying women's magazines have a liberal agenda?" To submit your answer please log on to AdAge.com, QwikFIND aao29v

In this article:
Most Popular