WGN America is the national flagship of Tribune Media and is available in more than 73 million homes. The cable network, in the middle of a sweeping reinvention, is transforming itself from a superstation to a destination network. By January 2016, WGN America will be a dual-feed network, significantly expanding its prime-time appeal and drawing a bigger, more diverse audience.
Last year marked the network’s entry into original programming with the breakout success of “Salem,” followed by the launch of critically acclaimed drama “Manhattan.” Both series, returning for a second season, pave the way for daring newcomers “Outsiders” and “Underground” in early 2016. These projects continue the network’s aggressive expansion into original scripted programming.
This fall, WGN America is the new exclusive cable home for 2015’s two biggest acquired series, “Person of Interest” and “Elementary.” With “Blue Bloods,” they make up the new “Prime Crime” lineup. WGN America is also elevating prime time with major motion pictures to compete as a movie destination.
With original series, exclusive off-network hits, competitive movie titles, conversion to dual feed and more national coverage, WGN America is a dramatically new network.
• Genders skew 55% female/45% male • 48% more sellable prime-time impressions • 26% more prime-time units • Growth of key sales demographics year over year • Reaching an affluent and educated viewer with discretionary income to purchase products and services • Strong original programming: “Salem,” Season 2: More than 1.5 million viewers watched the Season 2 premiere of “Salem.” Live+3 delivery for “Salem” ranks as the 2014-15 TV season’s highest lift across all new and returning premieres on cable among adults 18 to 49, growing an impressive 112% (602,000 vs. 284,000).
INTEGRATED MEDIA OPPORTUNITIES WGN America offers customized, socially driven integrated marketing platforms and co-branded sponsorships. Original companion content is featured on the new wgnamerica.com and its custom social communities.
ORIGINAL SERIES • SALEM: This bold reimagining of the infamous 17th century witchcraft trials returns at the dawn of a Witch War in Season 2. As disease and devastation unleashed by a deadly supernatural ritual spread, Salem’s most powerful witch faces off against adversaries old and new. “Salem” is all new on Sundays at 10 p.m. ET. • MANHATTAN: Set in Los Alamos, New Mexico, during the race to build the world’s first atomic bomb, “Manhattan” explores history’s most secretive city and the families willing to risk their freedom, sanity and innocence for a chance to change the future. But it comes at a cost: How much evil does it take to do good? William Petersen (“CSI”) joins the cast. “Manhattan” Season 2 returns in fall 2015. • OUTSIDERS: A struggle for power and control set in the rugged, mysterious hills of modern-day Appalachia, “Outsiders” tells the story of the Farrell clan. Living off the grid and above the law on their mountaintop homestead, they’ll defend their way of life using any means necessary. “Outsiders” is coming in 2016. • UNDERGROUND: “Underground” follows the slaves who traveled the fabled Underground Railroad, the secret network of men and women who risked their lives aiding them and the mercenaries tasked with hunting them down at any cost. This thrilling new drama is the story of the greatest escape. “Underground” is coming in 2016.
NEW ACQUISITIONS This fall, WGN America is the new exclusive cable home for 2015’s two biggest acquired series, “Person of Interest” and “Elementary.”
Sources: Nielsen. LSD M-Su 7 p.m.-11p.m. A2+ audience composition. Nielsen. LSD. 2014 vs. 2013 growth of adults 25-54, M-Su 7 p.m.-11p.m. Nielsen. LSD vs. L+3. Growth among scripted original dramas on cable September 2014 through 4/5/15.
- One in Five Relationships Starts Online, Says Match.com in New Ad...9:49 pm ET Match.com: The World Has Changed Network:
WGN AmericaShow: Cops Primetime Airing: Sep. 29, 8:37 pm ET Most Engaging...
- T-Mobile Puts Verizon in its Sights With Parody Ad...Top new ads recently aired on national TV Kia: Basketball Network:
WGN AmericaShow: How I Met Your Mother Primetime Airing: Sep. 20, 10:37...
- Russell Westbrook Gets Some Serious Air in Jordan's Engaging Spot...recently aired on national TV Carl's Jr.: Really Classic Network:
WGN AmericaShow: Person of Interest Primetime Airing: Aug. 31, 10:19 pm ET...
- Shark Week an Early Ratings Victim as NBC Rivals Brace for Olympics Slowdown...Olympics to slow subscriber additions in the quarter. Tribune, which owns
WGN America, said it launched two of its biggest shows, "Outsiders" and "Underground," in...
- Slightly Icky Stride Gum Spot Succeeds in Being 'Mad Intense'...am ET Humana: Great Things Are Ahead of You: Carnival Network:
WGN AmericaShow: How I Met Your Mother Primetime Airing: Jul. 26, 10:51...
JUN22With New Studios in Nashville, RFD-TV Is Poised for Growth
JUN8TV Looks Beyond Nielsen Metrics to Strike Deals
MAY1How Cable's New Golden Age of Content Is Changing the Game
APR30Kids Networks To Create Content for Marketers
AUG12Why the Vertical Video View Is Gaining Ground
NOV11Ads based on time of day help native content stand out
OCT14A Savvy Branded Content Player Unveils a Spooky New Campaign
MAY4TV Networks Offer New Options for Buying and Tracking TV Ads
MAY1Cable News Wars Rage as New Players Join the Battle
MAY12015 Programming Roundup
MAY1How Brands Are Breaking Through Programming Clutter
SEP29It's A Golden Age For Television And Cable Networks Are Delivering
MAY7WGN America--From Superstation to Destination