Published on .

CHICAGO-Dennis Chase, 47, a former Advertising Age executive editor who was fatally injured Feb. 15 in a skiing accident in Utah, is being remembered by colleagues as an intensely competitive and enterprising journalist.

Mr. Chase was skiing at the Brighton Resort near Salt Lake City with his son, Justin, 14, when he lost control on a downhill run and hit a tree stump.

"Dennis was a larger-than-life impact-player, hard-charging, dedicated to the newspaper profession, to aggressive reporting, to scoops, to `blockbuster' stories and fine writing. He showed up for work every day brimful of ideas, energy, spirit and enthusiasm," said Fred Danzig, editor of Advertising Age.

"He was terrifically competitive," said Melanie Rigney, Ad Age managing editor/news, "and while he expected a lot from everyone who worked for him, he also pushed himself ex tremely hard."

A graduate in communications from Michigan State University, Mr. Chase joined Ad Age in July 1980 as international editor, from Chicago bureau chief of McGraw-Hill Publications.

He had held various positions for McGraw-Hill from 1971 to 1980, including serving as London correspondent in 1975-76.

He had also been a general assignment reporter for Chicago Today, The Ann Arbor (Mich.) News and The Grand Rapids Press, and was a Walter Bagehot Fellow in Economic & Business Reporting at Columbia University.

"Dennis' overseas experience with McGraw-Hill was a great asset to Ad Age," said Lawrence Doherty, deputy editor. "He was instrumental in broadening our international scope and coverage."

Mr. Chase was named executive editor in 1987 and oversaw the publication's major redesign two years later, as well as the increased use of four-color art in the news pages.

He left Ad Age last fall and at the time of his death was a consultant for the Dilenschneider Group, Chicago.

An Evanston, Ill., resident, Mr. Chase was engaged to be married to Meryl Suben, formerly with Ad Age's marketing department and now with Porter Novelli, Chicago.

Mr. Chase also is survived by his mother, Ethel, and his brother, Melvin, both of Phoenix.

The funeral was held last weekend in Oak Park, Mich.; a memorial service in Chicago is planned for Feb. 23. Donations may be made to the American Cancer Society.

Most Popular
In this article: