In conjunction with Advertising Age's Best Advertising Awards of 1997 competition, entries gathered by five Ad Age licensees and affiliated marketing publications in other countries also were judged against other entries from within their respective countries. The publications are Revista Mercado (Argentina), Publicidad & Mercadeo (Colombia), Mercado (Dominican Republic), Advertising Week (Greece) and Pubblico (Italy).
There were more entries from licensees for the Best of 1997 competition than in any previous year.
Here are the country-by-country winners in each media category, with the advertiser, entry and agency cited.
* TV: 1st place (tie): Banco Itau "Directory 2," Argulla & Boccetti, and Toyota "Hilux," Lautrec Nazca Saatchi & Saatchi; 2nd place: Telecom Argentine "Mad," Argulla & Boccetti; 3rd place: C&A "Mothers Day," Young & Rubicam.
* Print: 1st place: Novarro Correa "Welcome, Mr. President," Lautrec Nazca Saatchi & Saatchi; 2nd place: RCA "Parental Control," Leo Burnett Argentina; 3rd place: Volkswagen "Nature Is Wise," Ratto/ BBDO; honorable mentions: Perfil "World Without Violence," Lautrec Nazca Saatchi & Saatchi, and Technology Magazine "Cat & Mouse," Dreyfus Communications.
* Out of Home: 1st place: McDonald's "10 Minutes for Lunch," Leo Burnett Argentina.
* TV: winner: El Tiempo newspaper "Super Equipo El Tiempo" ( Lowe & Partners/SSPM.
* Print: 1st place: Redepaz "Rayuela," Lowe & Partners/SSPM); 2nd place: Unisex condoms "Latex Lover, Latin Lover" (Marca); 3rd place: Renault "Similarities" (Lowe & Partners/SSPM); honorable mention: Secretaria de Salud (Health Department) "Fireworks" (Lowe & Partners/SSPM).
* TV: Best of Show: Triquilar oral contraceptive "Another Boring Day for the Stork" (McCann-Erickson Dominicana).
Category winners: Alcoholic Beverages -- Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana "Presidente Beer `Leadership' " (Young & Rubicam Damaris); Financial Services -- Banco Mercantil "Butaca" (Pages & Cia.); Food -- Nestle "Relationships" ( McCann Erickson Dominicana); Technology/Communications -- Codetel "Justo Precio" (Cumbre Nazca) Miscellaneous -- "Another Boring Day for the Stork" (McCann-Erickson Dominicana).
* Print: 1st place: Proctor-Silex "Grapes" (Leo Burnett); 2nd place: Cheyenne jeans "Sling Shot" (Kraneo); 3rd place: Hershey's Syrup "Cows" (Inter American/Ammarati Puris Lintas); honorable mentions: Sociedad Industrial Dominicana "Separata Navidad `Omo' " (McCann-Erickson Dominicana) and Supermercados Nacional "Food Is Like Music to the Soul" (Punlicidad Zolez).
* TV: 1st place: Milko chocolate milk "Imiskoubria Band" (Spot Thompson Advertising); 2nd place: Cutty Sark "Wolves" (Adel Saatchi & Saatchi); 3rd place: Yotis "Sentry" (Lowe Alector).
* Print: 1st place: Michel Herbelkin watches "Marlene Dietrich" (Market Communications); 2nd place: KISS-FM "Olympic Games" (Factory Advertising); 3rd place: Gilera Stalker motorbike "Safe Enjoyment" (Ashley & Holmes),
* TV: 1st place: Gatorade "Lion & Gazelle" (Armando Testa); 2nd place: Martini Spumante "Sharon Stone" (Armando Testa); 3rd place: Renault "Yoga" (Publicis).
* Print: 1st place: Audi "Gandhi" (Verba DDB); 2nd place: Il Sole Ore newspaper "Cristoforo Colombo" (Publicis); 3rd place: Mondadori Publications "Marie Claire" (McCann-Erickson Italiana).