Yeah, we're going digital - but with dailies in tow

By Published on .

Increased digital options for news consumers have had many bemoaning the death of daily newspapers. However, Brian Tierney, who organized the investment group that purchased The Philadelphia Inquirer and Philadelphia Daily News, painted a rosy picture for the future of newsprint. The majority of our poll respondents agreed that newspapers are not destined for extinction.

Many of the comments we received highlighted the qualities that differentiate newspapers from their exclusively online brethren. "One should never underestimate the importance of being local! Newspapers own that," said consultant George Hayes.

Greg Salerno, manager-advertising and public relatons for BJ Services Co., said that newspapers have earned readers' trust. "Despite the constant political slamming, newspapers remain more objective than most media, giving them an edge in credibility."

However, other readers think newspapers are falling behind their more responsive, interactive competitors. Jim Dickson, a marketing consultant, predicts "portable devices plus the Web will win over paper."

Most indicate that newspapers will thrive if they develop a healthy online presence. Rick Pike, senior VP-media director, Inter/Media Advertising, said newspapers must evolve or become obsolete. "If newspapers can reinvent themselves and provide unique content and in-depth insight, there might be a few that will survive."

Lisa Schwab, sales manager, Southern Region, at Newspapers First, has confidence. "Newspapers are and will continue to adapt to the evolving media-consumption patterns."

What you say: 61% of voters agreed with the prediction of Brian Tierney, the new owner of 'The Philadelphia Inquirer' and 'Philadelphia Daily News,' that newspapers have a bright future. The other 39% think newspapers will be eclipsed by the Internet.
Most Popular
In this article: