IPad 2: More Memory, Two Cameras, Adonis DNA, Tiger Blood
Soon you will have no choice but to repurpose your first-generation iPad as a drink coaster or hors d'oeuvres tray, because today Apple is unveiling the so-called iPad 2, which will reportedly feature more memory, two cameras -- one in back for conventional photography, and another in front so you can see if Charlie Sheen is sneaking up on you -- plus Adonis DNA and tiger blood. OK, actually, the dual cameras? Not yet confirmed. (Charlie Sheen is definitely sneaking up on you, though.) But stay tuned to AdAge.com for the magical details of Apple's extra-magical new tablet as they're officially announced.
What's amazing is that, even though Apple's iPad 2 launch ceremony is at 1 p.m. EST today, the lead story on the usually Apple-fixated Gizmodo blog midmorning was "The Internet Is Watching Charlie Sheen Implode." As the site's Sam Biddle wrote, "Charlie Sheen has, like very few others in internet history, grabbed an immense amount of attention in jarringly little time. The last person to dominate the web's astonishingly minuscule attention span, and to so completely command it, was probably Kanye West, whose Twitter follies were the toast of the summer."
In fact, over the past few days as I discussed the potential topic of this week's charticle with the folks at Trendrr, the social-media monitoring service, we couldn't decide between Sheen and the new iPad -- so we're doing a mashup. Some notes:
- A combo of "iPad2" and various related terms has been averaging in the 7,000 to 10,000 tweets-per-hour range since Feb. 24, with a one-hour peak of 23,883 tweets this morning -- which will surely be eclipsed this afternoon.
- On Sunday, Twitter mentions of the new iPad totaled 225,693. Monday they shot up to 341,441, and yesterday 401,910.
- A combo of "Charlie Sheen" and related terms (including "Adonis DNA" and "#tigerblood," two trending topics based on attributes Sheen claims to possess) was yielding as many as 24,000 tweets per hour Monday, and a peak of more than 50,000 an hour yesterday.
- Sheen's daily tweet totals were under 30,000 a day until Feb. 25, but his recent media blitz drove him up to 228,606 total mentions (by name or via related memes -- especially "#tigerblood") on Monday and 464,383 on Tuesday. In other words, Charlie Sheen triumphed over the iPad 2 on Twitter yesterday.
- As of late Wednesday morning, Charlie Sheen has 830,687 followers on Twitter. Given that he only launched his Twitter-verified account, @charliesheen, yesterday, at his current growth rate he seems sure to hit a million followers by the end of the day.
Simon Dumenco is the "Media Guy" media columnist for Advertising Age. You can follow him on Twitter @simondumenco.