You're a Top 10 Twitter Trending Topic, Adobe? How Totally Humiliating
Elsewhere in our top 10, sports and tween-pop brands did well. In fact, 40% of the list this week is tween-dominated, with Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers representing North America (Bieber may be an American music industry product, but he's originally from Canada), and boy band Super Junior representing South Korea. (What the Trend Pro, the service we use to create this charticle, offers an in-depth look at hundreds of trends each week.)
FYI: Other entertainment brands that loomed large on Twitter this week but didn't quite crack our Top 10: "Masterchef," the Australian version of a cooking show that originally began in the U.K.; "Twilight" (Oprah debuted a trailer from the coming third installment of the blockbuster movie series on her show last Friday); the Fox hit "Glee"; and Lady Gaga.
How is this chart made? See Notes, below.
|Trend||Peak Position This Week||Peak Position Last Week||Points||Crowdsourced Description|
|1||Justin Bieber||1||2||9,080||The young Canadian R&B/pop singer has a lot of fans who
like to tweet about him.
Subtrends include: Eenie Meenie, I_JustinBieber, New Zealand, #WeLoveJustinsMOM, #letjustinsing, #JBieberBoy94, Australia, Vevo, #justinshair, Paris, #JBsupportTN, My World 2, #biebersgotswag, #JBrocks
|2||NBA||1||2||3,101||Lakers just smashed the OKC Thunder, 111-87, taking game 5.
Lakers lead the series, 3-2.
Subtrends include: Lakers, Kobe, OKC, Cavs, LeBron, #TheKnicksNeed, Thunder, Bulls, Spurs, D-Wade, Brandon Roy, Kevin Durant, Adam Morrison, Paul Pierce, Bobcats, Hawks, Fear The Deer, Ray Allen, Celtics, Miami, Ron Artest, Bucks, Heat, Brandon Jennings, #Celtics, Dallas, DWade, Hahahahaaaa, JR Smith, Shaq, Clutch, Jameer Nelson, Cleveland & OK City, Dwayne Wade, Nuggets, Derrick Rose, Mavs, Jamal Crawford, Melo
|3||NFL||1||2||1,903||The 75th National Football League (NFL) Draft is being held at
Radio City Music Hall in New York. This year the NFL is instituting
a three-day draft for the first time, and the first two nights are
Subtrends include: #NFLDraft, Ricky Williams, Dez Bryant, Colt McCoy, NFL Draft, And FUCK THE COWBOYS, Myron Rolle, Denver, Tim Tebow, Jimmy Clausen, Jason Campbell, Earl Thomas, Broncos, Raiders, Eric Berry, Brandon Graham, Rolando McClain, Leon Washington, CJ Spiller, Jets, Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma, Ryan Matthews, Maurkice Pouncey, Toby Gerhart, Eagles, Taylor Mays, Jordan Shipley, Jahvid Best, Cowboys, Antonio Cromartie, Joe Haden, Tyson Alualu, Kyle Wilson, Jerry Hughes, Ndamukong Suh, Russell Okung, Jason Pierre-Paul, Patrick Robinson, Al Davis, Nate Allen, Chargers, Dan Williams, Trent Williams, Miami Dolphins GM, Steelers, Oakland, Tim Toone, Chiefs, Sean Weatherspoon, Sean Lee, Major Wright, Joe Mcknight, Sam Bradford, Jags, Chris Cook, QB Jason Campbell, jared odrick, Matt Millen, Demaryius Thomas, Kareem Jackson, Giants, Browns
|4||UK Parliament||1||1||1,488||Prime Minister Gordon Brown has been caught on microphone
describing a voter he had just spoken to in Rochdale as a "bigoted
woman". Leaders of the UK's three main political parties, Gordon
Brown, David Cameron, and Nick Clegg, met for the third and final
time before the election May 6th...
Subtrends include: Gordon Brown, #leadersdebate, #bigotgate, Nick Clegg, David Cameron, Gillian Duffy, #ge2010, Cameron, Clegg, Nick Griffin, Brown, Labour, bigoted woman, Mr. Duffy, Rochdale, YouGov, Eastern Europeans, Dimbleby, Liam Fox
|5||Super Junior||1||1||1,371||Super Junior is a Korean boy band and members of their fanclub,
ELF, are expressing their love for them. Super Junior is going to
release their 4th album soon...
Subtrends include: I_SuperJunior, #sj4thalbumsoon, #weloveHenry, BangShin~_, Undead ___________, Heebum, PM8, Radio__
|6||Mother's Day||5||New||660||Mother's Day will be celebrated on Sunday May 9, 2010 (in the U.S. & Canada). In the UK Mothering Sunday is celebrated on the 14th of March, 2010.|
|7||Adobe||1||New||646||Steve Jobs has published his "Thoughts on Flash."
Subtrends include: Steve Jobs, Flash, Thoughts on Flash, Will Support Flash, Flash Is No Longer, Steve Jobs'
|8||Jonas Brothers||1||2||617||Jonas Brothers' fans are showing their love for them.
Subtrends include: I_JonasBrothers, #JonasForever, VenezuelaWantsJonas, #Joick, #ChileWantsJonas, David Henrie, Off Air, #VenezuelaWantsJonas
|9||European League Football||3||2||613||Inter Milan will be at FC Barcelona (Barca). Chelsea thumped
Stoke City, 7-0, and returned to the top of the English Premier
League. The Stade de Gerland, Lyon is the scene of the second leg
of the Champions League semi-final between Olympique Lyon and
Subtrends include: Barca, Chelsea, Lyon, Fulham, Nani, Bayern, Olic, Liverpool, Kalou, Thiago Motta, United, No Rooney, Evra, Lampard, Jose Mourinho, Ryan Giggs, Pique, Man Utd
|10||Miley Cyrus||2||New||601||Fans are tweeting their love "_" & support for actress and
singer Miley Cyrus.
Subtrends include: We_Cyrus, #WeAdoreCyrus, I_MileyCyrus, #SmileyMiley, Super_Cyrus, #Yelin, Miley, #TeamCyrus
1. WTT tracks the appearance of topics on the Twitter Trending Topics list and each week ranks the brands (broadly defined to include marketers, products and celebrity/entertainment brands) with the most cumulative staying power. Explanations of trends are solicited from WTT users, Wikipedia-style; a community-voting system is designed to highlight the best explanations while burying lame or prank explanations.
2. For the purposes of this chart, we collect and process data until 12 midnight EST on Thursday night before each Friday's publication.
3. We broadly define "brands" to include major marketers (e.g., Apple) and branded products (e.g., iPad), as well as celebrity and entertainment brands (e.g., Lady GaGa, American Idol). Ad Age works with WTT to consolidate multiple threads of brand chatter (e.g., Apple, iPad, iTampon, Apple Tablet) into one position on the chart when it's clear related Twitter conversations are basically all about the same topic, even if they use different keywords.
4. In WTT's proprietary trend-tracking system, points are awarded for both duration and rank in the top 10 trending topics on Twitter. The longer the duration, and the higher the overall rank, the more points are awarded. Measurements are taken in five-minute increments.
5. The crowdsourced trend explanations above are quoted as they appear on WTT, and therefore may have stylistic and grammatical quirks that don't adhere to normal Ad Age editorial standards.
For more information about What the Trend, visit the WTT FAQ. And check out WTT's Week in Review, compiled by its in-house editors and covering an expanded general list of Top 20 trends (including hashtag trends) here.
Simon Dumenco is the "Media Guy" media columnist for Advertising Age. You can follow him on Twitter @simondumenco.