This Week in Twitter: 'Inception' Rules (of Course); MTV, Shirley Sherrod and Felipe Neto Explode Too
A few notes about this week's Top 10 Most Tweeted Brands chart, a collaboration between Advertising Age and What the Trend:
- "Inception" takes the top spot on our list. Some background: "How 'Inception' Became the New World Cup (and/or Justin Bieber)."
- More and more, it seems that a sure-fire way to become a top-trending personality on Twitter is to trash and/or get trashed. Consider Shirley Sherrod, the former USDA official, who was briefly (and wrongly) maligned as a racist on Andrew Breitbart's BigGovernment.com blog. Or, bizarrely, Felipe Neto, a Brazilian video-blogger who pissed off"Twi-heads" (he'd mocked the "Twilight" vampire franchise and its fans in an extended comedic screed viewed more than 3 million times on YouTube); they retaliated by making "Cala Boca Felipe Neto" -- "Shut up, Felipe Neto" -- a Top-10 Twitter meme.
- The week's breakout entertainment brand is "If You Really Knew Me," an unscripted MTV series that premiered Tuesday. (Check out this TV Guide piece: "MTV's If You Really Knew Me Breaks Boundaries One High School at a Time.") In fact, the title of the show has so resonated with Twitter users that they turned it into its own hashtag meme, #ifyoureallyknewme -- providing an opportunity for an endless stream of low-level (and occasionally heartbreaking) introspection on Twitter this week (e.g.,"#ifyoureallyknewme then you'd know that I don't like change,""#ifyoureallyknewme you would know that I married my soul mate,""ifyoureallyknewme you would know that i never wanted to move from florida and that i hate my parents for doing this to me and my friends").
How is this chart made? See Notes, below.
|Trend||Peak Position This Week||Points||Crowdsourced Description|
|1||Inception (Movie)||1||14,855||Inception is a 2010 sci-fi action thriller film written, produced and directed by Christopher Nolan. The film stars Leonardo DiCaprio. Inception was released in both conventional and IMAX theaters on July 16, 2010.|
|2||Felipe Neto||1||3,558||Felipe Neto is a popular brazilian vlogger. (Vlogger = video blogger). "Cala boca Felipe Neto" is is Portuguese for "Shut up Felipe Neto". Neto is a Brazilian blogger who spoke out against the Twilight series of books and movies on a debate show on MTV Brazil.
Subtrends include: CALA BOCA FELIPE NETO
|3||Rick Ross||1||3,216||Teflon Don is the new album by rapper Rick Ross (@RickyRozay), released 7/20/10.
Subtrends include: Teflon Don, Rick Ross, Teflon, Meech, BMF
|4||Shirley Sherrod||1||2,496||Shirley Sherrod, former U.S. Dept. of Agriculture official was forced to resign after an edited video surfaced on the internet which made it appear that she'd made racist remarks to a white farmer. The White House apologized for the way this was handled.|
|5||If You Really Knew Me (TV Show)||1||2,329||People are tweeting about what to know about them, because of the MTV original TV series, "If You Really Knew Me."
Subtrends include: #ifyoureallyknewme
|6||Nelson Mandela||1||2,283||Nelson Mandela, aka Mandiba, celebrated his 92nd birthday on July 18. Madiba Day is held in South Africa on this day; people were encouraged to spend 67 minutes of their day doing good deeds for the community.
Subtrends include: Madiba, Mandela, Nelson
|7||Soccer/Football||1||2,043||Tweets about various teams, players and matches.
Subtrends include: Ricardo Gomes, Jol, Caio Ribeiro, Femenil, Ava?, Crystal Palace , Bruno C?sar, Essien, Chicao, Felip?o, Atl?tico Goianiense, Corinthians Perdeu, Celtic, Diego Souza, Gomes, Benzema, Tinga, Atl?tico, Prudente, Silas, SPFC, Yolanthe, Goias, Amorim, Cole signs, Neymar, PAOK, Curintia, Fernand?o, Cear?
|8||Tour de France||1||1,989||TDF is the hashtag for Tour de France. Tweets about various teams and riders.
Subtrends include: #tdf, Schleck, Contador, Andy Schleck, Tourmalet, Riblon, Voeckler, Barredo, Alberto, Fedrigo, Menchov, Vinokourov
|9||SHINee||1||1,869||At 8PM (Korean Time), on July 16, SHINee, a South Korean boy band (Onew, Jonghyun, Key, Minho, Taemin), released their new teaser video.
Subtrends include: SHINEE TEASER, #taevolutionday, Lee Taemin, Taemin, Jonghyun
|10||WWE||1||1,800||Tweets about various wrestling matches and wrestlers.
Subtrends include: Randy Orton, Sheamus, Khali, R-Truth, SUMMERSLAM, Hart Dynasty
1. WTT tracks the appearance of topics on the Twitter Trending Topics list and each week ranks the brands (broadly defined to include marketers, products and celebrity/entertainment brands) with the most cumulative staying power. Explanations of trends are solicited from WTT users, Wikipedia-style; a community-voting system is designed to highlight the best explanations while burying lame or prank explanations.
2. For the purposes of this chart, we collect and process data until 12 midnight EST on Thursday night before each Friday's publication.
3. We broadly define "brands" to include major marketers (e.g., Apple) and branded products (e.g., iPad), as well as celebrity and entertainment brands (e.g., Lady GaGa, American Idol). Ad Age works with WTT to consolidate multiple threads of brand chatter (e.g., Apple, iPad, iTampon, Apple Tablet) into one position on the chart when it's clear related Twitter conversations are basically all about the same topic, even if they use different keywords.
4. In WTT's proprietary trend-tracking system, points are awarded for both duration and rank in the top 10 trending topics on Twitter. The longer the duration, and the higher the overall rank, the more points are awarded. Measurements are taken in five-minute increments.
5. The crowdsourced trend explanations above are quoted as they appear on WTT, and therefore may have stylistic and grammatical quirks that don't adhere to normal Ad Age editorial standards.
For more information about What the Trend, visit the WTT FAQ. And check out WTT's Week in Review, compiled by its in-house editors and covering an expanded general list of Top 20 trends (including hashtag trends) here.
Simon Dumenco is the "Media Guy" media columnist for Advertising Age. You can follow him on Twitter @simondumenco.