This Week in Pop Brands: 'Taylor Hotner' Shows Leo 'Inception' DiCaprio Who's Boss
- Finally! After four weeks in our top spot, "Inception" has been deposed -- by the Teen Choice Awards. For the purposes of this chart, we consolidate related trends, and the biggest subtrend to come out of the TCA's was "Taylor Hotner" -- a play on the name of Taylor Lautner, one of the stars of the "Twilight" franchise -- courtesy of comedian George Lopez. He showed up in drag and claimed he was the fourth Kardashian sister, Cougar Kardashian, then went off on hilarious little riff, including: "Oh my God, I have a blister the size of Justin Bieber on my heel!" and "I'm not Team Edward or Team Jacob but whoever tweets me first. Where's Taylor Hotner? Taylor Hotner?!?"
- The ever-increasing internationalization of Twitter is reflected in the flood of tweets this week related to the Brazilian presidential election season, the ton of tweets about talented Indonesian nobodies making a bid for fame on Indonesia's version of "America's Got Talent," and the return of "The Last Airbender" as a Twitter meme thanks to its release in Indonesia.
- Um, awkward! Pop star Justin Bieber makes our top 10 again this week thanks to a big boost from the hashtag trend #hornyforjustin. The Biebs is, mind you, 16 years old -- and his core fans are probably just starting to wear training bras. I have nothing more to say on this matter other than to suggest that you click your way over to Alex Morris' must-read feature story about Biebermania, "Justin Bieber Can Hear Them Scream," in the most recent New York Magazine. It funny/disturbing/sad and it explains everything.
How is this chart made? See Notes, below.
|Trend||Peak Position This Week||Points||Crowdsourced Description|
|1||Teen Choice Awards||1||10,131||The "Teen Choice Awards" were taped 8/8/10 and aired on 8/9/10
in the U.S. Hosted by Katy Perry and the guys of "Glee." George
Lopez talked about Taylor Lautner on the "Teen Choice Awards," and
referred to him as "Taylor Hotner."
Subtrends include: Taylor Hotner, TCA, Ian Somerhalder, #TCA, Sterling Knight, Nina Dobrev, Ashley Greene, Josh Hutcherson, TCAs, Betty White
|2||Inception (Movie)||2||8,346||"Inception" is a 2010 sci-fi action thriller film written,
produced and directed by Christopher Nolan. The film stars Leonardo
DiCaprio. "Inception" was released in both conventional and IMAX
theaters on July 16, 2010.
Subtrends include: #rajateconinception
|3||Soccer/Football||1||5,772||Tweets about various teams, players, matches.
Visit whatthetrend.com for a complete list of subtrends.
|4||Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Movie)||1||5,739||Scott Pilgrim is the main character in the new movie, "Scott
Pilgrim vs. The World," starring Michael Cera. The movie is a
fantasy/sci-fi movie in which a boy takes on the girl of his dreams
ex-boyfriends in order to win over her heart. The movie comes out
Subtrends include: Scott Pilgrim, Pilgrim
|5||The Last Airbender (Movie)||1||3,849||"The Last Airbender" is a movie based on the famous animated series "Avatar: The Last Airbender." This film has just been released in indonesia.|
|6||Pretty Little Liars (TV Show)||1||3,603||"Pretty Little Liars" is a ABC Family TV Show. Its season
finale aired on Tuesday.
Subtrends include: Pretty Little
|7||Various Brazilian political brands||1||3,468||For more about tweets surrounding the Brazilian presidential
elections, visit whatthetrend.com.
Subtrends include: Dilma, Baixada Santista, Marina Silva, Pl?nio Arruda, Pl?nio, Jos? Serra, Dilma Rousseff, Considera??es Finais, Industria Naval, Fatima Bernardes, Willian Bonner, Presidenci?veis
|8||UFC||1||3,210||Tweets about various fighters and matches.
Subtrends include: Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen, Sonnen, #ufc117, Steven Seagal, Clay Guida, Roy Nelson, Thiago Alves, Matt Hughes, Jon Fitch, Rocky Balboa, UFC, Ricardo Almeida, Jiu Jitsu, James Toney, Cigano, Chael, Triangle Choke, Struve, Apanhou, Seagal, Segal, Balboa, Rematch, Cintur?o, Fitch, Apanhando
|9||Justin Bieber||1||2,670||With the #hornyforjustin hashtag trend, Justin Bieber fans are
expressing their lustful feelings for this 16-year-old singer. Some
Beliebers are participating, others find this Trending Topic
disturbing.... Silly Bandz are rubber or silicon bracelets that are
worn and collected. They are trending because a Justin Bieber
version is coming out.
Subtrends include: #hornyforjustin, #becauseofjustin, #smileforjustin, Silly Bandz, Dan?a Gatinho Dan?a, LatinAmerica_Biebs, #FranceWantsJayb, #usmile, Beliebers
|10||Indonesia's Got Talent (TV Show)||1||1,983||Indonesians are now watching IMB (in Bahasa, "Nonton IMB") and
they are tweeting about it. IMB = "Indonesia Mencari Bakat" =
"Indonesia's Got Talent."
Subtrends include: Nonton Imb, Bondan Prakoso, Funky Papua, Funky Papua Keren, IMB, Brandon Lolos, Titiek Puspa, KLANTINK, Millenix, Fay, #imb
1. WTT tracks the appearance of topics on the Twitter Trending Topics list and each week ranks the brands (broadly defined to include marketers, products and celebrity/entertainment brands) with the most cumulative staying power. Explanations of trends are solicited from WTT users, Wikipedia-style; a community-voting system is designed to highlight the best explanations while burying lame or prank explanations.
2. For the purposes of this chart, we collect and process data until 12 midnight EST on Thursday night before each Friday's publication.
3. We broadly define "brands" to include major marketers (e.g., Apple) and branded products (e.g., iPad), as well as celebrity and entertainment brands (e.g., Lady GaGa, American Idol). Ad Age works with WTT to consolidate multiple threads of brand chatter (e.g., Apple, iPad, iTampon, Apple Tablet) into one position on the chart when it's clear related Twitter conversations are basically all about the same topic, even if they use different keywords.
4. In WTT's proprietary trend-tracking system, points are awarded for both duration and rank in the top 10 trending topics on Twitter. The longer the duration, and the higher the overall rank, the more points are awarded. Measurements are taken in five-minute increments.
5. The crowdsourced trend explanations above are quoted as they appear on WTT, and therefore may have stylistic and grammatical quirks that don't adhere to normal Ad Age editorial standards.
For more information about What the Trend, visit the WTT FAQ. And check out WTT's Week in Review, compiled by its in-house editors and covering an expanded general list of Top 20 trends (including hashtag trends) here.
Simon Dumenco is the "Media Guy" media columnist for Advertising Age. You can follow him on Twitter @simondumenco.