On Twitter, Good Ol' MTV and VH1 Have Some Serious Heat
- It's rather heartening to see 28-year-old MTV and 25-year-old VH1 hangin' tough this week in the Twittersphere, thanks to the MTV Movie Awards and the VH1 Hip Hop Honors. Both specials, it turns out, have successfully been able to transfer their historical (literal) water cooler buzz to the present-day virtual water cooler. In fact, when you think of about it, both shows, which traffic in short bursts of outrageousness and awesomeness, seem almost like they were engineered from the get-go for the Age of Twitter.
- We broke soccer/football into two separate consolidated trendlines this week -- basically pre-World Cup and World Cup-related. A hint of the coming soccerific social-media tsunami: the World Cup, which only officially starts today, still managed to break into our Top 10.
- Dutch political brands blew up big on Twitter this week thanks to the national political election in the Netherlands. It's been fascinating over the past year or so, as Twitter has increasingly gone global, to watch which countries have been embracing the micro-blogging service most fervently -- and to what ends. Considering that the Netherlands' population is just 16.6 million, the massive presence of its assorted political brands on Twitter this week is truly remarkable, suggesting a deeply engaged and social-media-savvy electorate.
- Beyond running for office in the the Netherlands, other good ways to break into our Top 10: announce the release of a new iPhone (see Apple), throw around an orange ball (see the NBA), sing in a South Korean boy band (see Super Junior), or accidentally (or otherwise) release a sex tape (see Ariel Nazril Irham of the Indonesian band Peterpan, now aka Peterporn).
(What the Trend Pro, the service I use to create this charticle, offers an in-depth look at hundreds of trends each week.)
How is this chart made? See Notes, below.
|Trend||Peak Position This Week||Points||Crowdsourced Description|
|1||NBA||1||7,640||Tweets about various teams, players, games.
Subtrends include: #duncansdream, #teamceltics, #nawimstraight, John Wooden, Celtics fans, Coach Wooden, NBA Finals, Lakers won, Derek Fisher crying, Tony Allen, Marinos, Shuttlesworth, Doc Rivers, Take Game, Fisher crying, #rayallen, Rasheed Wallace, Izzo, Guard Ray Allen, Lakers win game, Celtics, Bill Walton, Jeffrey Osborne, 2K11, Luke Walton, Ray Allen, Allen got, Phil Jackson, Glen Davis, Fouls, Jump Ball, Finals Game, Fisher Cryin, NBA Finals record, Garnett, Series tied, Sheldon Williams, Lakeshow, Chris Rock, Game One, Layups, Laker Fan, Andy Garcia, Alley Oop, Celtics got, Celtics won, Rondo, Derek Fisher, Technicals, Lakers got, Did Kobe, Laker ball
|2||Dutch political brands (various)||1||6,063||Netherlands national elections of 9 June 2010. TK2010 stands
for 'Tweede Kamer 2010' (House of Representatives/Parliament).
People are tweeting about popular choices for the next Dutch Prime
Minister, including VVD party leader Mark Rutte. Dutch 'Party for
Freedom', led by Geert Wilders, more than doubled in size in 2010
Subtrends include: #TK2010, Rutte, PVV, #nosdebat, #watkiestnl, VVD, Stemmen, Wilders, Stembureau, Definitieve Prognose, Ferry Mingelen, Slotdebat, Roemer, Voorlopige, Paars Plus, Draconisch, Exit Poll, Mingele, Job Cohen, Coalitie, Verhagen, Schiermonnikoog, Prognose, Freek, Rouvoet, #tweetuur, Brinkman, Geertje, Thieme, Halsema, JPB, #lijst0, PvdA, Partij, Verdonk, Vaals, Balkenende, Vries, Verkiezingen, Femke, AOW
|3||Apple||1||5,190||Apple's latest iPhone will be released on June 24.
Subtrends include: iPhone4, #iphone4, WWDC, iOS4, WWDC keynote, Magic Trackpad, FaceTime, Retina Display, iAds, iOS, Nieuwe Iphone, iBooks, Giroscopio, Front Facing Camera, WWDC10, Backside Illuminated Sensor, Microsim, iPad_____________, Thinnest Smartphone, iPads, WiFi only, Gyroscope, iMovie app, HTML5
|4||MTV Movie Awards||1||4,770||The MTV Movie Awards aired June 6.
Subtrends include: MTV Movie, #MTVmovieawards, MTVMA, Mtv Movie Awards Red Carpet, California Gurls, Xtina, Taavon, Kiss Cam, Swagga Coach, Ken Jeong, Global Superstar, Betty White, Cristina Aguilera, Movie Award, Felton ganhou, Erasmo, Aziz Ansari, Movie Awards, Jonah Hill, Stunt Kidz, Male Performance
|5||Super Junior||1||4,425||Super Junior is a South Korean boy band.
Subtrends include: BONAMANA, #ss3forIndonesia, #protectsuperjuniorforever, #ithastobeyesung, #weloveyesung, #superjuniorhappy, Ryeowook Oppa, #bonamana3rdwin, SS3, #saranghaeyokimheechul, #weloveryeowook, #ss3invietnamtoo, Music Core, EunHae, Eunhyuk, Yesung, Heebum, Mucore, Wowers, Samara ganhou, Glaxys, Shindong, Antis, Ryeowook
|6||Soccer/Football (various; see separate entry for World Cup)||1||3,943||Tweets about various teams, players, matches.
Subtrends include: Vuvuzela, #socceraid, Drogba, Ombrinho Ombrinho, Robben, Pirlo, #labarratvn, BOCA GALV?O, #nedhon, Jamie Theakston, Hongarije, Felipe Melo, Dagoberto, Soccer Aid, Felip?o, Vuvuzelas, Theakston, Bruno C?sar, Buddle, Bielsa, Heskey, Sud?frica, Michel Bastos, Phil died, Tanz?nia, Didier, Prass, Encadeno, Amistoso, Galv?o, Ombrinho, Woody Harrelson, Jamie Redknapp, Inaguracion, 5x1, Iarley, Triplete
|7||Ariel Nazril Irham||1||2,738||Ariel (Nazril Irham) is the lead singer of the Indonesian pop
rock band "Peterpan." Ariel's laptop was lost, and according to
reports, this laptop contains two private sex videos, which
circulated lately over the Internet. When this shocking news
exploded, Ariel was named "Ariel Peterporn."
Subtrends include: Ariel Peterporn, Cut Tari, Peterporn, Cut Tari Resmi Dipecat
|8||3||2,634||Tweets related to this week's massive, recurring Twitter outage
and display of Twitter "Fail Whale" graphic.
Subtrends include: Stupid Whale, Yesung Oppa, Baleia Maldita, Twitter Over Capacity, Ballenita, _Twitter____, Bandeirinhas, Ballena, Overcapacity, #failwhale
|9||VH1 Hip Hop Honors||1||2,373||Various tweets related to the VH1 Hip Hop Honors.
Subtrends include: #youknowyoufromthesouth, #hiphophonors, Hop Honors, #girlsinatlanta, Bone Crusher, Silk Tha Shocker, Biggest Badass Star, Silkk, Mystikal still, His Nails Painted, Then Wiggle Wit, Organized Noise, Doo Brown, Southern Slang, Ross look, Still Tippin, Blow His Nose, Eddie Griffin
|10||FIFA World Cup||1||2,282||Tweets related to the FIFA World Cup
Subtrends include: CALA BOCA GALV?O, Waka Waka, #aberturadacopa, Tonka Tanka, World Cup Kickoff, Yerbatero, Obi Mikel, Kickoff Concert, Corden, Orina, Kidjo, Bafana Bafana, Africaaa, Abertura, Ferdinand, #vevoworldcup, World Cup Concert, Waving Flags, Alicia Keys canta, Shakiraaa, Parlotones, Knaan, Bafana, James Cordon, Cup Song, Amadou, Pata Pata, Kenita, Juanes, Hips Don
1. WTT tracks the appearance of topics on the Twitter Trending Topics list and each week ranks the brands (broadly defined to include marketers, products and celebrity/entertainment brands) with the most cumulative staying power. Explanations of trends are solicited from WTT users, Wikipedia-style; a community-voting system is designed to highlight the best explanations while burying lame or prank explanations.
2. For the purposes of this chart, we collect and process data until 12 midnight EST on Thursday night before each Friday's publication.
3. We broadly define "brands" to include major marketers (e.g., Apple) and branded products (e.g., iPad), as well as celebrity and entertainment brands (e.g., Lady GaGa, American Idol). Ad Age works with WTT to consolidate multiple threads of brand chatter (e.g., Apple, iPad, iTampon, Apple Tablet) into one position on the chart when it's clear related Twitter conversations are basically all about the same topic, even if they use different keywords.
4. In WTT's proprietary trend-tracking system, points are awarded for both duration and rank in the top 10 trending topics on Twitter. The longer the duration, and the higher the overall rank, the more points are awarded. Measurements are taken in five-minute increments.
5. The crowdsourced trend explanations above are quoted as they appear on WTT, and therefore may have stylistic and grammatical quirks that don't adhere to normal Ad Age editorial standards.
For more information about What the Trend, visit the WTT FAQ. And check out WTT's Week in Review, compiled by its in-house editors and covering an expanded general list of Top 20 trends (including hashtag trends) here.
Simon Dumenco is the "Media Guy" media columnist for Advertising Age. You can follow him on Twitter @simondumenco.