Our Twitter Week in Review chart uses data collected and parsed for Ad Age by the What the Trend (WTT) unit of HootSuite, the social-media management dashboard with more than 4 million users. (Last week's chart is right over here.) We're back today with Volume 24. Scroll down below the infographic for some context -- and watch for a fresh edition of our Twitter Week in Review each Friday.
- Though last week's MTV Video Music Awards left Beliebers consoling the teenage pop star after his failure to snag any Moon Men, fans of One Direction kept celebrating well into this week. The boy band won three VMAs on Sept. 6, for Best Pop Video, Best New Artist and Most Share-Worthy Video. The latter category is new this year and reflects how a huge segment of One Direction's fan base -- that is, tween girls who tweet and post to Facebook almost as much as they text and chew bubble gum -- interacts with music videos.
- An accidental blast at an ammunition depot in Turkey was overshadowed in U.S. media by the anti-American protests in the Middle East this past week, but it did affect Twitter enough to figure into two of the top 10 trends of the week. The blast was triggered by the detonation of a hand grenade, which set off other ammunition and eventually killed 25 soldiers, wounded four others and left the surrounding residential town damaged and shaken. "#TurkiyeAfyonaagliyor" reflects the country's collective grief at the town's loss and "25 Sehit" indicates the number who died in the blast. Both phrases are in Turkish.
- Sept. 11 was a landmark day on Twitter. Of course, the day marked the passage of 11 years since the terrorist attacks on New York City and the Washington, D.C., area that affected the whole world in myriad ways. But it also happened to be Spain's Day of Catalonia, when the country's citizens celebrate the end of the siege of Barcelona in 1714. Given the number of Spanish-speaking tweeters, the No. 6 trend for the week seems to refer to both milestones, according to What the Trend's crowdsourced expertise.
- Finally, twitterers had a lot to say about the dreamy Ryan Reynolds, despite no movie or TV appearance to speak of. The movie star shocked fans when he announced that he had married his unconfirmed girlfriend, actress Blake Lively in a secret ceremony in South Carolina on Sunday. Though some congratulated the actor, others were more disappointed to learn that he's off the market again.
- For explanations of trends and memes not covered above, visit HootSuite's What the Trend.