Our Online Survey

Published on .

An overwhelming 80% of AdAge.com voters find the FDA's new food pyramid a confusing Rubik's cube. The other 20% of nearly 500 respondents think the graphic is a major breakthrough in the promotion of healthy eating.

"Kinda like fast food; they processed the heck out of it `til all the nutritional value was gone-or better yet, too many lobbyists spoiled the soup."

-Arthur Benjamin Carmichael III/ad sales writer & producer/HGTV/Knoxville, Tenn.

"I think the media had misrepresented the idea behind MyPyramid.gov. It is just a starting point to encourage the consumer to eat better starting at an early age. If you do need more detailed information, go and make an appointment with a registered dietitian."

-Nancy Ortiz/registered dietitian/Charlottesville, Va.

"The likely confusion caused by the new pyramid will create opportunities for food marketers to interpret the meaning for consumers, and they'll always interpret in ways that enhance their brands."

-Greg Linnemanstons/president/Weidert Group/Appleton, Wisc.

"Yes, the logo is clunky, but it very clearly communicates that exercise is a fundamental part of a healthy diet. The message in and of itself is an incredible improvement from the previous pyramid, where exercise was an afterthought stapled to the bottom."

Jessica Willing-Pichs/director of strategic planning/ Trion Communications/Providence, R.I

Next week’s question is "Will the growing impact of the Web affect advertising spending in this year’s TV upfront?" To submit your answer please log on to AdAge.com, QwikFIND aao29v

Most Popular
In this article: